• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Criminal Theft Over $5000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Criminal Theft Over $5000

The Manager of our coffee shop was arrested after a lengthy investigation and charged with Theft over $5000.00 a Criminal Felony here, and Possession of same. As the manager, he apparently stole $300,000. 00 over a period of 2 years. Probably more, but that's what they recovered in his storage unit! It was still in the company deposit bags from the bank. This was discovered when a forensic auditor was hired by the owners, He's a young guy, about 27 yrs old with no previous record. I just don't understand him, why keep all that cash and not discriminently spend it over time? Who knows' how much was really stolen right now really, he may have spent some but not enough to look suspicious. Of course, the owners are not speaking about the matter until the matter is settled in the courts. We know the amount as they had pictures of it all laid out in all the press, newspapers, television etc.
    Being his first offense, and the $300,00.00 being recovered, what do you think would happen? We're in Canada, I know laws differ in different countries, but would like everyone's thoughts on how this will proceed Do you all think he'll just get probation or jail time. BTW, his 1st appearance happened, and he's not entered a plea and is at home right now, not in jail til trial! I'm flabbergasted!
    Tags: None

This is a UK site and expertise is on UK law. Suggest you look for a Canadian based site.

Comment

Of course, he probably helped himself to some free coffee, as well, which makes his situation much more perilous, unless the alleged criminality happened in Quebec, where everything is rumoured to be free.

What do you think will happen?

Comment

As paulajayne you are unlikely to have much response from here
        However I believe sentencing is covered by the Criminal code (An Act respecting the criminal law) which can be found here: file:///C:/Users/Others/Downloads/Canada%20Criminal%20Code%201985%20(As%20amended%20 2010).pdf

And no I haven't read it as it is 566 pages long

Comment

Thanks for responding everyone! I've researched the Canadian Criminal Law, and know the "normal" sentence, was just wondering people's opinions based on what others have seen happen. Many of us were inadvertently affected, as the shop was losing money, hours were drastically cut, most full time employees myself included went from 40 hr/wk down to 30. The owners of course had to cut everyones hours and close the shop from a 24 hr business down to only days. I hope they throw the book at him, but I doubt it, being his first offence and the recovery of most monies. Our justice system here sucks!

Comment

If this happened in the UK he would be facing jail time and dismissal.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X