• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Resigned and disapinacy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, from your writing, the facts are as follows:
    You resigned on 1st June.
    Your last day of employment is 25th June
    On 14th June your employer stated it would commence an investigation into an allegation of forgery, said to have been made by you in May 2018.
    It offered to abandon that investigation, provided you left immediately, without receiving any pay. Or in the alternative that you be suspended on full pay until that investigation completes.
    You elected the latter.
    The employer then told you that the earliest it could complete it’s investigation and would hold a disciplinary hearing is in early July i.e. after you ceased to be it’s employee.

Are those facts correct?

Comment

Yes that's correct

Comment

This is my opinion:

Firstly, and in agreement with others, you have no obligation whatsoever to attend any disciplinary hearing, if that is held after you have ceased to be an employee. Further, you are under no obligation to assist with any investigation-you have denied the bald assertion of forgery.

It seems to me, that your employer in making the offer to you, to either leave immediately without pay, or in the alternative, to be suspended on full pay, whilst the investigation was carried out, is a proposal tainted by dishonesty. My reason for that is that no honest employer, intent on getting to the bottom of whether or not a forgery had occurred, would make such an offer. An honest employer, would certainly suspend you whilst the investigation occurred, but would not offer to forget about it if you left immediately without pay.

I also find it simply not credible, that this alleged forgery has only come to light, more than a year later-that allegation, even if true, is very stale, and taken together with his offer to forget about it if you left without pay, calls into question the proper superintendence of the care home by the employer.

You are free to take up any employment after your notice period expires. You are entitled to full payment until then, by your soon-to-be ex-employer and should that entity be foolish enough to make things difficult with a future employer, you can simply bite back, using my previous paragraph as your weapon-a weapon that if properly deployed could well result in your former employer’s licence to operate a care home being put under scrutiny.

Comment

Thanks for this information

Comment

You may wish to write to your employer to ensure there is a contemporaneous written record of what has gone on here.

My reason for making that suggestion, is that I would not be surprised if your employer refuses to pay your wages, in any event. (I would also not be surprised to discover that he has found someone to replace you, which may explain his offer to you to leave immediately with no wages.)

Something along the following lines might meet the need:

I served notice on you on 1st June that I would leave your employment on 26th June 2019 - that remains my intention.

On 14th June you stated you would commence an investigation into an assertion of forgery, which same is said to have been done by me in May 2018. I denied that assertion of forgery immediately it was put to me, and I continue to do so.

You then offered to abandon that investigation, provided I left immediately, without receiving any pay, or in the alternative that I be suspended on full pay until that investigation completes.

I elected the latter.

You then told me that the earliest you could complete your investigation would be in early July and that you would hold a disciplinary hearing after that investigation completed.

------------
            Last edited by efpom; 15th June 2019, 05:33:AM.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X