• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Hello everyone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello everyone

Hello everyone I'm Dazza a HGV driver from Newcastle upon Tyne.
    My issue is that today I got home from work to be greeted with a letter from DVLA saying that my HGV licence has been refused due to high blood pressure, I've informed my employer who then told me to collect my belongings from my lorry and that I should look for another job and if I get my BP under control there will be a job there for me which sounds to me that I've been made redundant and would like to know where I stand with the situation.
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear about the loss of your job.

I do not think that this is a redundancy situation given that there is still a requirement for the job and it is not that the job no longer exists. However are you a permanent employee of the company and if so how long have you been employed there?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

It was a permanent position and I have worked in this job for 12 years, I was told by a good source that my employer is well within their rights to do it as I was employed as a driver and can no longer do my job sorry but I worded it wrong by saying redundant.

Comment

Since you are employed as a driver then not having a driving licence means that you cannot undertake your duties as a driver and the company can therefore consider dismissal.

My concern is that even though this means the company has the potential to dismiss you, with 12 years service they should have followed a disciplinary process and also maybe given consideration as to whether there was an office based role they could have transferred you to.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

In addition to the comment above as holding a licence is a requirement for your role the loss of the said licence can lead to dismissal under some other substantial reason which is a fair reason for dismissal. However, as stated above a process will need to have been followed and failure of the employer to follow the said process could lead to a claim at the employment tribunal. In your situation a claim for unfair dismissal and disability discrimination can be well founded. You mentioned redundancy, were you given a redundancy payment and also did you receive any notice pay. It might be worth asking for the company's termination policy.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X