• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Colleague complaint email leaked to colleague in question by my manager

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colleague complaint email leaked to colleague in question by my manager

Hello all,

I have an issue at work I was hoping for some advice on. I do apologise for the long read but wanted to be thorough

I work night-shifts with 2 other colleagues in a busy call centre involving tyre breakdowns. One of our colleagues really hadn't been performing well and was constantly trying to avoid calls/awkward jobs and constantly making mistakes. My other colleague and I brought this up with our supervisors who put the under performing colleague on an extra weeks training. However, the problems still persisted despite us adjusting her mistakes time and time again and reminding her that roadside breakdowns are priority over making a cup of tea. I must stress that the tiniest slip up in my job which can be as simple as one digit wrong on a vehicle reg or postcode, or a vehicle being on the motorway too long that it gets recovered by the Highways Agency can leave my company liable for the fitters callout charge and the cost of a truck tyre and/or the cost of the recovery.

We then decided to take this to a management level and I sent (what I felt) was a fair email which is as follows:

(With names omitted)

Hi Pete,

Myself and B** just wanted to show a few instances of what we are dealing with on the night shift as I think I may have left a lot out when we spoke the other evening and there have been various and potentially costly and embarrassing mistakes since.

In no way, shape or form are myself and B** trying to single C****** out. On a personal level she's nice lady, but we obviously are here to make sure jobs are done correctly first and foremost. I know we are all guilty of making mistakes and I myself are far from perfect, but we feel we are constantly trying to correct her on the same issues every time and having to listen to her every conversation. We have, of course, gone over this with her time and again.

Below I have some examples of jobs with simple, yet potentially costly mistakes:

679635 - This R S***** job was loaded as I**N. Only when B***t @ U** questioned it when she was passing the job to him did it come to light. (I have explained several times that 1734 is a generic B***** member number and she has a note of it on her desk I believe). I felt this was an embarrassing situation seeing as a rival had to correct us that it was a B***** account.

679651 - This was called in by C * * which is obviously a key account of Tyres N*****. However, it was first loaded as Tyres N***** then C******** E***** as the fleet. I questioned C****** and she said it was called in by Tyres N*****. I queried this with the issuer as the name and number looked wrong. Only then did we find out it was called in by C * *.

677589 - This was the one we spoke about the other evening regarding a job that was erroneously taken as Ma***** that had B** extremely upset. Which was in fact an entirely different company (MAN ***** **). Obviously this could have been an expensive mistake had B** not questioned it extensively. This was the one Ba*** called you about in the early hours which you declined.

670840 - This one I had to step in and stop C***** from placing the job. It was called in by a member of the public saying he uses W***** tyres. No Breakdown card or member number given. Had I not interrupted, this could have proven costly to us

671802 - This job was originally loaded as R***r - K*. Clearly not R***r calling job in and not with a R***r order number which should, by now, prove obvious.

There was also an A**** A***** job last week (I cannot find the job number) that I made Ba*** aware of, where C****** called A**** A****** to okay a double night callout for the fitter. This is something we have explained many times over not to do on a B********* account. Luckily though, it was caught by myself when I spoke to the fitter and told him he would need to call for a TPA number for extra charges if needed.

This list isn't exhaustive but we really don't want to nitpick too much and we are trying to be careful not to do so. But we feel it is becoming a serious issue with summer quickly approaching. Although she may not have covered everything in training, we feel she is not picking things up at all and has hit a wall. Other issues are still very much ongoing but are hard to address with her as so not to cause more animosity. Taking roadside/motorway jobs that aren't straight forward and easy and leaving them for others to place which we have emphasised to her again and again that they need placing asap and not after making a cup of tea seems to be the most common issue of late.

Following our conversation and records having been checked that C****** has taken the same amount of jobs as the rest of us, I'm sure that will prove true over the months. But we feel that we have to correct more jobs than we should be correcting for someone who has been here almost a year. I have never dreaded coming into this office (which is a miracle in itself as other jobs, I've dreaded them from day one!). But now find myself feeling daunted by the prospect of having to watch every job taken by her. I really do enjoy my work here and hope a way forward can be found to best suit everyone. B** too feels the same if not worse than myself.

I apologise for the long email but I feel I can communicate better in written form and if you so wish, job numbers supplied for call recording purposes.

Both myself and B** are available to talk further if you deem it necessary and could possibly come in earlier on a shift day if that's easier for yourself.

Kind Regards

Alan

Our under performing colleague has now been moved onto day shifts. This evening, I was talking to my usual work colleague and we noticed a letter on our under performing colleagues desk. It was pretty much a personal attack against myself and my current work colleague containing many personal points (mostly spiteful lies/exaggerations but that is another story) but more importantly mentioning this email that you see above. With her trying to justify many points. From what she has written in her letter (I feel this letter has been left out in plain view to bait me), it sounds like the email has been read out to her by my manager and she has been told who sent it.

If the letter she has written DOES get me reprimanded (some nights are long and quiet and I'm a bit of a joker which is why I'm concerned) in the form of warnings etc, can I bring up that this email was supposed to be confidential and do I have cause to complain? I do joke about at work but have been in this job for 3 and a half years without any major complaint and my work always comes first.

Thank you for reading

Kind Regards

Alan
    Last edited by Alzy1982; 6th June 2019, 02:09:AM.
    Tags: None

To try to get to understand the issue you are asking for help on is it about raising an informal/formal grievance about the fact that an email to a manager appears now to be known in detail to the person that you were writing about? Or is the issue about what was written in the letter left on your colleagues desk which may contain content that if reported to a manager may result in some form of disciplinary action? Or both? Are you 100% certain your colleague wrote the letter?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

My number 1 concern was the fact that this was supposed to be for my managers eyes only. But feel like he doesn't want to be the bad guy and has put myself in the firing line. I just wondered if this would be against any privacy laws.

The secondary concern is the damage that this letter would do to my reputation within the company as I do wish to go further. The letter was definitely written by the colleague in question as it was her writing and has left it on her desk for anyone to see(I'm thinking it was left there for us to find).

Comment

Did you make it specifically clear to your manager that it was private and confidential? Is there a possibility that your manager could have investigated the contents of your email and then decided to have a meeting with the colleague concerned to discuss "performance issues" if he corroborated the issues you raised.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X