• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

2 years continuous service and other issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 years continuous service and other issues

Good evening all i would be grateful for some advice regarding my wife. She started work as a teaching assistant with an agency and was often placed at a local special school near to our house which was convenient for all concerned . In the spring of 2017 the agency asked my wife to apply for a permanent role at the school as they wished to take her on as staff. She filled out a school application form in July 2017 and was accepted to start at the beginning of September 2017. The agency said that their policy of transfer of staff from agency to permanent was something I believe to do with the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 with regard to how they collected their fee so for the first 12 weeks the agency paid her wage through a contract for services whereby she wasn't a permanent member of staff at the agency but supplied to the school. From day 1 she had access to the internal staff data system and confidential student information, all internal documents and Ofsted information etc. She also attended all staff meetings which temp staff usually don't and was listed as staff on the internal system. There was no visible difference between how she was treated than other permanent staff. She received an email in the first week asking her for bank details etc so that the school could pay her directly when she transferred to them at the beginning of December 2017. We got married at the end of September 2017 and she was asked to fill out a special leave form by the school principal which was granted and had no contact with the agency from the day she started on the 4th of September. Her school contract states that her continuous service started on 4th December 2017. Now here is the fun bit ! We have been going through ivf the last few months and the school have been making things difficult re time off etc so she has been going to work even when the doctors have said she needed rest after ivf cycle treatment as she didn't want to lose her job. She was told last week that they would not be renewing her contract for a 3rd year due to the implications of a recent Ofsted report and lack of funding. Although all her appraisals have been good and the head teacher said that it was not her fault, as she had been there less than 2 years they had to let her go but won't put it in writing, as he doesn't have to explain why . 2 days later she miscarried and found out that the ivf was not successful but her consultant believes that stress and worry and working when she should have been resting could have contributed to it, but our main issue is where she stands now. Having researched on the net there are cases whereby people have argued at employment tribunals that their continuous service should include time as a temp as there was no visible difference between their job as a temp and permanent staff. If so she will have worked 2 years at the end of her second year contract and be entitled to not be unfairly dismissed . I would be most grateful for any views as my wife has had a very distressful week and I am trying to find a solution. Kind regards and many thanks for reading my very long post
    Tags: None

I am so sorry to hear about your wife’s miscarriage and the stressful situation she is facing at the moment.

What will be a key factor in this situation is whether or not the contract for services that your wife was working under when she was temping for the school had an “entire agreement” clause and a statement to confirm that there is no employment relationship between the temp and the end user i.e. the school. So that will need to be checked.

The other issue is that the contract of employment with the school clearly states her start date as 4 December 2017 for the purpose of continuous service. However, other factors that need to be taken into consideration is whether she was treated during that Sept to 4 Dec period as if she was a permanent member of staff in terms of the control and direction and the requirements on her to report for work. This may serve to weaken the position of the school.

Was there any break between your wife finishing as a temp and the 4 Dec start?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Gary1968 View Post
      Good evening all i would be grateful for some advice regarding my wife. She started work as a teaching assistant with an agency and was often placed at a local special school near to our house which was convenient for all concerned . In the spring of 2017 the agency asked my wife to apply for a permanent role at the school as they wished to take her on geometry dash as staff. She filled out a school application form in July 2017 and was accepted to start at the beginning of September 2017. The agency said that their policy of transfer of staff from agency to permanent was something I believe to do with the Conduct of Employment Agencies and Employment Businesses Regulations 2003 with regard to how they collected their fee so for the first 12 weeks the agency paid her wage through a contract for services whereby she wasn't a permanent member of staff at the agency but supplied to the school. From day 1 she had access to the internal staff data system and confidential student information, all internal documents and Ofsted information etc. She also attended all staff meetings which temp staff usually don't and was listed as staff on the internal system. There was no visible difference between how she was treated than other permanent staff. She received an email in the first week asking her for bank details etc so that the school could pay her directly when she transferred to them at the beginning of December 2017. We got married at the end of September 2017 and she was asked to fill out a special leave form by the school principal which was granted and had no contact with the agency from the day she started on the 4th of September. Her school contract states that her continuous service started on 4th December 2017. Now here is the fun bit ! We have been going through ivf the last few months and the school have been making things difficult re time off etc so she has been going to work even when the doctors have said she needed rest after ivf cycle treatment as she didn't want to lose her job. She was told last week that they would not be renewing her contract for a 3rd year due to the implications of a recent Ofsted report and lack of spanish dictionary funding. Although all her appraisals have been good and the head teacher said that it was not her fault, as she had been there less than 2 years they had to let her go but won't put it in writing, as he doesn't have to explain why . 2 days later she miscarried and found out that the ivf was not successful but her consultant believes that stress and worry and working when she should have been resting could have contributed to it, but our main issue is where she stands now. Having researched on the net there are cases whereby people have argued at employment tribunals that their continuous service should include time as a temp as there was no visible difference between their job as a temp and permanent staff. If so she will have worked 2 years at the end of her second year contract and be entitled to not be unfairly dismissed . I would be most grateful for any views as my wife has had a very distressful week and I am trying to find a solution. Kind regards and many thanks for reading my very long post
      She had a very distressful week. I hope she will get better soon.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X