• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Gross misconduct???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gross misconduct???

Hi,

I shall start from the beginning just to explain the situation. I have worked for said company for 8 months although 2 months ago I got tuped across to a new company. About one month ago I finished a shift at work and was meeting my partner in the pub.

One of the service users asked if he can come along for a drink and I said yes. So I finished my shift at 4pm and we both got in the same taxi and got it to the pub. The service user insisted on paying as my partner had the money and he was inside. The service user had a bit to drink and really enjoyed his night. It got to about 9pm when I suggested he go back to his bungalow. I phoned him a taxi and also phoned the carers on site to inform them that he was on his way back.

The following day I arrived at 11.50am as my shift started at 12. The same service user and I was due to go out on his social hours at 12:15 but to my surprise another carer told me that he's still in bed and the carer also informed me that his taxi had been cancelled. I went into his bungalow to wake him but unfortunately I found him dead.

I continued to work 2 further shifts then got informed I would be suspended. The company knew they intended to suspended me but made me do 2 10 hour shifts first.

The reason he wanted to come with me is that the previous day when he should of had his social hours we was short staffed (always should be 5 staff, 2 service users per staff member plus one 'runner') because of this he couldn't go out so planed to go on the following day however once again due to being short staffed he couldn't go out so he saw a perfect chance to finally go out when he heard that I was going for a drink after work. If we had the required number off staff on shift then he would of had his social hours.

I then had an investigation meeting followed by a disciplinary hearing. The out come being me being dismissed on gross misconduct.

I today received my dismissal letter. The letter says that a copy of the minutes are included yet the only thing in the envelope is the letter itself.

The points they mention are the fact that I was consuming alcohol in the care of a service user. However I was off shift and also the service user has full capacity and has an independent living form of care and also that I accepted the taxi getting paid for without filling any financial recording sheets out. Once again he has full capacity and deals with his own finances.

No other members of staff have been suspended. When I brought up the fact that why had nobody been in to check on him between the hours of 5:20 am and 11:50am and why had the taxi been cancelled without first checking on him the answer I got was simply a 'we don't know'.

I find this extremely harsh and wrong to label it as gross misconduct and would like any advice or opinions please.

Thanks
    Tags: None

There are two things here.

Firstly I am not sure if you are aware but if you have less than 2 years service your employer can dismiss you without necessarily having to give you a reason or follow a disciplinary process, except in certain circumstances, without there being a potential for an unfair dismissal claim.

Given that background your employer has undergone a disciplinary process and therefore in the letter confirming the outcome of the disciplinary and confirming your dismissal for gross misconduct have they detailed your right to appeal?

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I am aware of the 2 year ruling. It's the fact they class it as gross misconduct when I fail to see how they can categorize it as such a serious offence. Plus the 2 reasons they give for putting it into this category are are both invalid reasons.

Yes the letter states that I have the right to appeal.

Comment

That is good that they have included your right to appeal. In which case you need to raise your appeal by stating why the misconduct should be classed at a lower level and in detail why you believe the reasons for it being at that level are invalid
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Just a quick update.. Today I received a reply to my appeal letter. The company have rejected an appeal hearing due to my letter not falling into one of two categories.

1)there is new evidence which supports your appeal
          2)the correct procedure was not followed when a decision was made.

Also on the letter received it says that I was dismissed on the basis of breaching professional boundaries policy and a breach oh trust. It doesn't once mention gross misconduct being the reason I was dismissed.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X