• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Theft at work - dismissal.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft at work - dismissal.

I took an item from work which was written off and sold it online. The value was £80 when sold. However the average value is between £50-£100. I was suspended and attended a post suspension meeting where I admitted to the offence. Offered to reimburse the employer and apologised. I will very likely face dismissal, therefore I’m going to hand in my resignation with immediate effect. There was mention of the police maybe being involved. What are the chances, I get arrest and sent to prison? I haven’t told anybody due to the sheer embarrassment. I’m going for genuine advice, rather than a lecture. I know I did something wrong and I have been kicking myself for two weeks.
    Tags: None

I'm sorry you have got yourself in a pickle.

My view is that is really depends on the policy of the company in these matters. They may view that either them dismissing you or you agreeing to resign as a consequence is punishment enough. There are no set rules in these situations and it is entirely down to what the company decides to do.

It may be worth seeing if you can agree with the company your offer to reimburse the cost of the item and give the apology and see on that basis whether they will not involve the police. Theft is a dismissible offence in most companies so whether they will accept a resignation rather than dismiss you depends, if they deem it gross misconduct then they do have the right to not pay any notice period.

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Quote: What are the chances, I get arrest and sent to prison? unquote

Nil.
      If reported to police (unlikely) you will be invited in to an interview (if that happens request attendance of duty solicitor which is free).
      As this would be considered a low level crime (altho' with aggravating aspects) it would most probably be dealt with by a caution.

Comment

I tried to resign with immediate effect and with notice but both were rejected. I’m pretty sure this is illegal. I have a hearing soon which they will put forward evidence to a panel of ‘judges’ for review. I’m really worried that they will sentence me and my family will be homeless since my other half won’t be able to cover the mortgage and bills.

Comment

I have also been busy job searching and boltineering

Comment

**** I have been also job searching and volunteering locally to keep my mind off the proceedings. *

I have a interview lined up for a contract role which they want me to start urgently. Do contract roles check references? If I’m asked about my previous role, I’ll be honest and say that I was fired.

Comment

I am not sure why if you have offered to resign with immediate effect, they have not accepted this since the position at common law is that a notice, once validly given, is effective and can neither be "refused" by the employer or "withdrawn" by the employee, without the other's agreement.

If you then tried to resign giving the appropriate notice, then my point as detailed above still stands. However, if the company had accepted your resignation with notice they would be entitled to continue the process, particularly if the likely finding is one of gross misconduct, since you can be summarily dismissed which means you would not work your notice, nor would you be paid for it. This would in effect supersede your resignation and the reason for the termination of your employment will be dismissed for gross misconduct, rather than resignation.

I wonder whether it is worth writing to them and informing the company that under common law they cannot refuse your resignation be it with immediate effect or with notice.

You have been doing the right by thing by looking for a new job. References are normally asked for when moving to a new job, so honesty is always the best policy in my view.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

I'm almost certain you wouldn't go to jail so rule that worry out. There are people committing far more heinous crimes who get suspended prison sentences. If they even took it that far as a prosecution, which isn't in the public interest as you are seeking to recompense and resign the worst would be a slap on the wrists and a minimal fine. I had a friend in a similar situation and the police weren't interested as they didn't report it immediately. Like you they banked it as a threat. Good luck, you will overcome this and life goes on. Try not to worry too much.

Comment

Thank for the replies.

I received the minute notes yesterday and it seems like they did not accurately recorded the information I provided. I have the right to annotate the notes and sign it. Is the minute notes seen as a legal document in the eyes of the law once signed?

Comment

By signing the notes you will be confirming that you agree they are an accurate reflection of what was said at the meeting. If at a later date their is a question over what took place at the meeting the signed document would act as the authority as to what did take place.

So please read through it carefully, check any notes you took of the meeting and make any annotations you need to ensure that the document accurately reflects what took place. Make sure you get a copy of the notes with any amendments you make.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                    X