• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Suspension from work and pregnant

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspension from work and pregnant

Hello I’d really value some sound advice with a work issue. I’ve worked where I am now for 9 years and am in middle management. On 16th April I was pulled into a meeting with HR and another manager and told that due to a review there had been an issue raised, and grounds for a more fuller investigation. I was suspended on full pay pending that investigation. Since then the head of HR who is actually really lovely has checked in with me twice, the first time to ask how I was and ask for ,me to send in my office keys, badge, laptop and phone... then again today to ask me if I had had a look at the documents and are preparing to respond accordingly to the matters presented. I’m 35 weeks pregnant due to go on maternity leave on 21st May.

I am really struggling not just with my mental health due to this stressing me out so much, I’m not sleeping or eating properly. I have gestational diabetes and the baby is fine, but my body isn’t, high blood sugar levels, then real lows, getting around 3 hours sleep on and off a day I’m just exchuasted. The midwife has said due to babies size that I also may have to be induced to give birth early, 37-38 weeks due to risk of still birth.

i have a doctors appointment trow to try and get aid sleeping. I have had much experience of conducting investigations, and I really do not want to be one of those people I hate who is signed off because they are stressed, but I’m not sure I could adequately defend myself as it is quite complex situation. I equally do not want to just quit a where would that leave me financially.

I am weighing up up in my mind what to do, I’m so stressed out and my baby has to come first in this, we lost a baby previously and have been trying to have a child for some years. I’m so divided.

my question after all the waffle, could you help me understand my options? If I am signed off work for say 4 weeks would the hearing be held when I’m not signed off? But then my maternity leave starts, or doesn’t that count at all now I’m suspended?

any advice greatly recieved
    Tags: None

Ula can you assist at all?
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

What a really tough situation for you to be in right at this moment in time. I would agree that your priority at the moment is your health and that of your baby so you really should be guided by the healthcare professionals looking after both of you and part of that is to let them know what is happening at work as that could be having a health impact on both of you.

If you were to go off sick for a pregnancy related illness as it is within 4 weeks of the due date, then Maternity leave will start automatically whatever has been previously agreed. The fact that you are suspended should have no bearing on that.

I presume that the suspension is nothing to do with the pregnancy.

If they decide to hold either an investigatory meeting as part of the suspension process or move it to a disciplinary hearing, then they must avoid the period of compulsory maternity leave. After that they would need to give you adequate notice taking into consideration that you have a new baby and you will need to make childcare arrangements to attend.

If you have any further concerns I have not answered then please just pop back here and we will try and help you. Best wishes to you both.
      If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
      If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you. I’ve had a letter via email today asking me to attend a disciplinary meeting on 10th May (coincidence that’s my 9 year anniversary). saw the doctor this morning she was amazing has referred me to speak to someone in the midwife psychologist team so at least I have someone to reassure me because I do feel a little crazy. Doctor has said she will sign me off if needed, but as I say I’m divided as to either defend myself but being selfish I’m not sure I’ve got the fight in me I’m exhausted, I just feel to leave and have nothing at all.

Could I clarify with you, if I am signed off it would be for stress and anxiety I would assume, I’ve never had to be signed off for anything before. Would that trigger the maternity leave to start even though I am suspended? Then 6 weeks after birth I could arrange to make a meeting to go through the disciplinary. Is that right in my thinking?

many thanks,

Comment

If you were signed off then to trigger the automatic start of your maternity leave, as you are less than 4 weeks from your due date, it would need to be for a pregnancy related illness. I am not a Dr but you mentioned
          gestational diabetes - has this got worse recently? Could this be a reason for being signed off and would the Dr term it as pregnancy related given it is caused because of the pregnancy and for this you may need to ask your Dr. I am also assuming you were not already a diabetic. Sorry without any medical knowledge just trying to see if there is away forward on this for you.

If you were signed off with stress and anxiety then in all likelihood this would not be considered as a pregnancy related illness.

In regard to the compulsory period this is in fact the two week or if you work in a factory four weeks you must have off for health reasons following the birth of your baby. So it is in this two or four week period, as appropriate, they could not ask you to attend a meeting.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
          X