• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy Package Issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy Package Issue

I am posting on behalf of a colleague on hope for some support for him.

He has been an employee for a company for over 35 years and last year, 2018, he finally decided it was time to hang up and enjoy his well earned retirement.
    Over the years he was considering retiring but his management always laughed at the idea and when mentioned anything about retirement was answered with 'you are too important and we need you so we would rip any letter we received from you'.

When he actually made a firm decision for retirement he was advised by his management that they would offer him a 12 months redundancy payout however if he could delay his retirement for a few months to help train up another individual, it would really help that department, as his role is unique and key to the department he works for.

He happily agreed and had no reason to doubt his management and whilst there was no paper work given to him to confirm the agreement, he was told it was a 'gentleman's agreement'.
    In his 30 years, he had no reason to doubt the company as he was always well looked after - yes, he regrets this now!

So fast forward to a few months later to this year and the company has had some financial changes with mass redundancies across the board and subsequently the offer that was made by his management has now changed by HR to a 6 months pay out from the initial 12.
    His management have been pushing to reinstate the 12 months, which is what HR and his management had previously agreed however HR came back with 6 months again.
    My colleague rejected this offer on the matter of principal and they eventually offered him a take it or leave it off of a 9 months package pay out.
    Again he rejected the offer based on principal, so they have now offered him again a 6 months package pay out and not budging.

Whilst my colleague has no written evidence via HR or his management, he now has call recordings from his management that clearly state what he had been promised and the fact that his management had this all previously agreed with HR (the name of contact in HR is in the conversation) and went as far as saying the HR Contact has been trying as well but due to changes they cannot honour the initially agreed 12 months pay out.

What options does my colleague have?
    He could have retired last year on the 12 months pay out and be enjoying his life now however instead by staying over to help the company, he is having sleepless nights of how the company has essentially trying to screw him over!

Any help would be greatly really appreciated.

Thank you
    Tags: None

Firstly, I am confused as to how they can offer a redundancy package when clearly his position was not being made redundant he was retiring. Was it more of an incentive/inducement to stay for a period of time to do the training?

Is the company under financial pressure hence the redundancies? If so that may have determined the fact that they cannot offer your friend, the sums discussed last year.

Since it is not a redundancy situation there is nothing your friend can fall back on legally in regard to a redundancy payment. In addition, there was nothing confirmed in writing as to the payments that would be due to your friend on his delayed retirement.

How were the calls recorded? Did the other parties to the call know that it was being recorded?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X