• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Suspended at work due to Social Media post

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspended at work due to Social Media post

Hi all,

I have been suspended from my job due to a social Media post. The post was related to the recent attacks in New Zealand on the Mosque - in which a Muslim presenter asked "Can anyone on hear give me a good reason as to why they would not stand shoulder to shoulder in support for their Muslim Community today." I did reply "Yes I can - due to my personal experience of receiving homophobia from sections of the Muslim Community and given that over half of UK British Muslims want to see Homosexuality made illegal again in this country - an area that Muslims still refuse to acknowledge or confront - you can count me out" This post was done in my own time - not the companies and my own device - not the companies. This post got a surprising amount of support and attention. A Muslim on facebook contacted my employer (my employer is on my facebook page) and said "why do you employ this person etc".

My company has suspended me and summoned me to a disciplinary hearing. I am absolutely sure if this was vice versa - a Muslim employee stated they were anti-gay and a member of the gay community contacted their employee this would not be happening.

Also what I posted was 100% factual. There was a study done in 2016 that found that 52% of British Muslims want to see Homosexuality made Illegal again in this country. ( Page 117 https://www.icmunlimited.com/wp-cont...us-topline.pdf )

Did work have any grounds to suspend me?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Amethyst; 19th March 2019, 14:23:PM. Reason: added reference ( 52% of 1081 survey participants )
    Tags: None

Ula would be best placed to address this question
    I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

I cant really comment much as I dont really know much about this area, however the first point of call is always your contract, does you contract state anything about the use of social media?
      The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by james_law View Post
        I cant really comment much as I dont really know much about this area, however the first point of call is always your contract, does you contract state anything about the use of social media?
        Hi James, no it doesn't there is no Social Media Policy.

Regards

Chris

Comment

If there is nothing mentioned about social media in your contract does your company have a separate social media policy?
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
          If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
            If there is nothing mentioned about social media in your contract does your company have a separate social media policy?
            Hi ULA, no it doesn't.

Comment

If your company does not have a social media policy then are there guidelines in their disciplinary procedures in regard to providing examples of what social media content posted by employees would be considered a matter for disciplinary action, particularly if they, as your employer, can be identified.

You said you have been suspended and that you have been summoned to a disciplinary meeting, the correspondence you received should have given you details of the allegations with a possible explanation of why the company felt possible disciplinary action was warranted, the potential outcome in terms of the form of disciplinary action that may be taken and that you have the right to be accompanied.

How long have you been employed at the company?

If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

old thread poster

Comment

Hello this is an old thread and poster probably left site
                  Last edited by ULA; 30th May 2022, 16:41:PM. Reason: Taken out the quote from previous postes as it contained a link to non relevant website.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                  See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                  X