• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Pay increase for staff based on method of pay - discrimination?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pay increase for staff based on method of pay - discrimination?

Hi all,

The company I work for has about 100 employees, most of which are paid weekly and a minority are paid monthly.
    The company has decided to increase pay for all employees who are paid weekly. Great news for them, however for the rest of us who get our salary monthly, we are not getting a rise. The weekly-paid staff are not taking on any more responsibilities or have any other justification to receive the pay rise over the monthly paid staff. My colleague - let's say "Steve" - in my department has the same title as me and originally the same wage. Previously I took on more responsibilities and had an increase in wage for this reason, so currently earn a bit more than Steve. Steve is paid weekly and I am paid monthly. Therefore now Steve will be receiving a pay rise because he is included in the "weekly paid" group, but his job role and responsibilities will stay the same. As a result, Steve will be earning pretty much the same as me, despite the extra roles and responsibilities I have.

Understandably most of the monthly paid staff are unhappy that they are not also receiving a pay rise purely because of the method of receiving their pay. We are of course going to raise the issue internally and hope that it can be discussed and rectified. However if that doesn't work I'd like to know where we stand legally - would this be classed as discrimination?

Thank you in advance for any advice and appreciate your time
    Tags: None

I can understand why the monthly paid staff are unhappy however unless there is direct or indirect discrimination based on a protected characteristic then an employer is free to determine rates of pay for individual/groups of workers.

I would certainly say that it is worth raising the issue internally, particularly if you can support your case with examples of the extra duties and increased responsibilities of the monthly paid employees.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X