• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Paternity pay premature babies

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paternity pay premature babies

Hi all,

I gave birth to twins in Nov 18 3 months early my husband took two weeks paternity at the time however we then recieved the completed government form OSPP from his employer to say he didn’t qualify because he had worked for them less than the 26 weeks he was literally five days short. At the time we had more important things to think about but now that the babies are all fine and at home we wanted to check whether this was correct. He started working for them on 29 May 18.

Thanks

nikki
    Tags: None

The due date is the date to use to work back from for whether you qualify for paternity ( or maternity ) leave - not the actual date of birth. So your babies were due in January ? Or Feb ? Take that original due date and work back 15 weeks .... then work back 26 weeks .... Jan due date would be April, Feb would be May - as he started at the very end of May it seems likely they are right, but check - there is a calculator on the gov website ... https://www.gov.uk/maternity-paternity-calculator/

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi thanks for your reply. The due date was 09/02/19 15 weeks back would be 27 Oct and 26 weeks back from thi date is 11 August. Husband started work end of May.th

thanks Nikki

Comment

Hi Blade81, I think you have taken the 26 weeks back from the due date to get to 11 August, in fact you need to take the 26 weeks back from the 27 Oct which is actually is 28 April.

Sorry
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you for clarifying. When husband informed employer they spoke to him about paternity pay you see and therefore we were surprised when they informed us by letter that he wouldn’t after he had taken the leave.

Btw in regards to my maternity pay query and being redeployed I’ve got a meeting with work the week after next so will let you know the outcome.

Thanks

nikki

Comment

Best of luck for your meeting.
            If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi Ula,

i bumped into a work colleague today and she mentioned she raised a grievance at work in relation to the same transfer but a different issue she mentioned they justified the reduction in T&Cs in her case as she has accepted a suitable alternative position at company b (job title the same) rather than redundancy that’s why TUPE regulations didn’t apply. However the alternative position was the exact same title as position at company a. As I said the only things in reality that changed is who paid us. I have checked the letter they sent me and it the exact same, we are offering you a suitable alternative position has arisen within company b (the company).

Would it being described as a suitable alternative position at company b with their associated T&Cs make any difference to my concerns about maternity pay ?

thanks

Nikki

Comment

Hi, sorry just had to have another quick look at your thread and have a another couple of questions:

When the company was bought out in May last year who was making you redundant the previous owners or the new owners?

Was the original business closing due to insolvency? If so and the new business was taking it over then the protection employees get is different from in a normal TUPE transfer, so an answer to this question would be helpful.

In one of your previous post you did say that some of your colleagues from the original company remained on Co A's T&C's, however one question that remains outstanding is did they retain the benefit of the enhanced maternity policy?
                Under TUPE the automatic transfer principle does not always include non-contractual policies contained within a staff handbook, which is normally where the maternity policy is.

Comment

Hi Ula,

thanks again for for your reply and help.

the previous owners company a put me and others at risk they weren’t going insolvent they were going to continue (our part of the business had lost government contracts that were not going to be renewed) but still had some smaller ones so would continue on a smaller scale.

Yes staff on company a existing T&Cs still have the enhanced mat policy. I understand TUPe doesn’t include all policies it’s just bad luck I guess they didn’t it clear to me on August about the stat min maternity pay as I would have then told them I was pregnant and I guess would have remained on existing T&Cs.

Regards
                  nikki

Comment

So company A is still in existence? Did company B take on the new government contracts is that why staff working on those contract went across to company B?

Comment

Hi,

yes company a is still very much in existence. The company still has some government contracts as it is the more well known company. Company b bids for new work but as company a and company b name joined together!

The people that transferred across effectively work for both businesses for some reason they wanted so many people on company a books and so many on company b I believe due to tax reasons I might be wrong.

thanks

nikki

Comment

This seems to be very confusing situation, not helped by the fact that TUPE is involved. A suitable alternative position is offered as an alternative to redundancy. Company B is not allowed to make you redundant just because of the transfer, they would have had to consult with you about redundancies before the transfer if the old employer agrees. Which leads to asking about the redundancy consultation process with you.

Aside from some concerns I have about he whole transfer process, I do feel that the full implications to your terms and conditions of employment and policies of company A were clearly not discussed with you in regard to the
                        suitable alternative position. If you had known the full impact given your situation you could have argued that it was not a suitable alternative position and they would have had to take consideration of the facts as you presented them.

I could by us going through questions/answers try and unravel the whole "picture" of the transfer which may help give some strong points to take with you to your meeting. So happy to do that if you want to.

Comment

Hi Ula,

it is a very confusing situation!

At no point was TUPE mentioned as part of the transfer. It was company a that informed me of the suitable alternative at company b so I’m no longer being made redundant by company a and will be transferred to work for company b. I then had a 12 week probation period at company b which in reality didn’t occur.

Thanks

nikki

Comment

Happy to answer any questions.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X