• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Headhunted and fired for no reason

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headhunted and fired for no reason

Ok so I’m seeking advice on whether I have any rights to go to court over my dismissal. My boyfriend seems to think I might have a case for an employment tribunal but we want to be sure before taking it further.

I was in permanent full time employment in a small company. I was in a management position and my role was to lead my team in a small design office. It was a good role with decent pay.

I was approached about a year ago by a representative of an American company to be head of design in their European company that they were just setting up. Over the next few months they brought me for meals out trying to woo me away from my company (I was their first choice for the job, I am highly skilled at what I do).

So after a few months I decide that their employment offer is too good to pass up, they were matching my salary and giving me a car allowance and expenses. I was completely taken in by their offer.

I served my notice at my company which was a period of 3 months. I started with the new company a few weeks ago on a Monday. We did some meetings, some site visits to clients and I thought things were going well. A few days later I was informed that I was surplus to requirements and that they had decided to take the company in a different direction and I was fired on the spot. It was upsetting and I left the meeting feeling extremely confused and anxious. I haven’t done anything wrong, their excuse was the problem was on their end, not mine.

Either way I’m now in a tough position having been coaxed into leaving a good job by them and them firing me when my probationary period had only just started. They knew I was in a good fulltime position when they first started contacting me and I hadn’t been looking for another job.

Have any of you been in a similar situation, if so how did you handle it?
    Tags: None

I am so sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately there is nothing that you can do in regard to an employment tribunal claim as you have less than two years service. However, I would suggest that you check your contract as to whether there is any clause about notice from the company to you in your probationary period. If there is then they should be paying you this, together with salary for the days that you worked for them.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Hi blueandblack,

sounds identical to my situation. I am in process of trying to get ex-employer to pay me the notice period through the ACAS early conciliation process. Absolutely disgusts me that they can take you from a perfectly good stable career and then make you unemployed with out any consideration. I'm hoping at the very least I get a months salary. Wishing you best of luck in finding a new job and hope you pursue them for any money owed if your contract has a clause relating to payment in lieu during probationary period.

Comment

Would it be worth grovelling to your former employer to see if you can get your old job back?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X