• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Discrimination at work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination at work

Hi,

i am posting this this on behalf of someone whom I willcall Nicola for some advice. Nicola has been having issue with another team her team have to work with. There are two main complaints she has submitted to the HR team one is in regards to one of the team members repeatedly question her work and also speaking to her in a rude and aggressive manner. Despite giving numerous examples HR initially said they feel Nicola has misinterpreted the other person therefore won’t be taking any action. They didn’t even speak to the person in question a month has passed so Nicola put the complaint in writing and they have now said they will hold workshops ok better communication.

The second is in regards to another colleague from the same team as the other staff member who accused her of doing something wrong labelling something up wrong by pointing her finger in her face, shouting at her and basically being horrible to her. In regards to the latter incident Nicola attended a meeting with the staff member and her line manager about s month ago to discuss and whilst the meeting wasn’t easy they agreed to a resolution and put it past them. Anyway the same staff member has then recently come to Nicola office and was speaking to her colleague and line manager (whilst Nicola was in the room and in earshot) the person was complaining they had been told their team had to wear a uniform soon and basically inquired why in their team Nicola did not Nicolas team member replied that it had been agreed on employment for cultural and religious reasons Nicola did not need to wear a uniform. Anyway Nicola joins the conversation did you mention me and then the person says well ill wear a shalwar kameez to work so that I don’t have to wear a uniform and laughing. Nicola didn’t respond as didn’t want an argument but on reflection was an inappropriate comment. The issue was raised with HR who have spoken to the two other people who have said it was a light hearted conversation. Therefore the person won’t even be spoken to. First of all they have a chequered history secondly the context of the conversation was that she’s unhappy her team have to wear a uniform and Nicola does not (not in your team so why does it matter) then there was the reference to I’ll wear your cultural / religious dress so I don’t have to wear a uniform. Nicola feels that be tamske the other staff member has worked for the company more than 30 years there us a reluctance to reprimand her on poor behaviour. Just to add Nicola is the only Asian staff member in her office. Nicola feels that HR have ignored her complaint and not taken them seriously the fact the the other people haven’t even been asked about what they have behaved to validate or deny. Nicola was asked regarding the clothing reference didn’t you think it was a joke missing the context of the conversation and their history. Any advice on whether HR are in the right would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

I think in dealing with such issues it is always best to try and resolve things on an informal basis if possible and maybe that is what HR were hoping to achieve, however by not speaking to the individual that made the comment they have not really done this. My suggestions would be that Nicola needs to raise a formal grievance about this further incident with the same individual.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks for the reply. She’s planning on submitting a formal grievance to see what happens.

Comment

Please come back and let us know how it goes.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X