• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Training clawback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training clawback

Hello all!
    I have found myself in a bit of a mess.
    An old employer of mine has referred a training clawback to a debt collection agency and is threatening legal action unless I pay a substantial sum for 2 years worth of fees. My argument is that I had started the 5 year degree course with the old employer and then a year into the course they made me sign a training agreement. They have recognised this I suppose by not charging 2 years of the 4 years of completed degree time whilst in there employment. The agreement itself is quite well drafted due to The size of the organisation however my legal point is that they retrospectively made me sign a training contract after the training had commenced. Would this stand up in court for them?

thank you for your help
    regards
    Tags: None

Hi, agreements of this kind, particularly when a company pays for higher education or advanced training, aiming to clawback the cost usually on a sliding scale over a period of time are normal. They are usually done in advance of the training starting but to the company's credit, given they did this retrospectively, they did not expect to recoup costs for the year not covered by the agreement or the first year of the agreement.

You signed the document knowing that any costs from year 3 of the course onward would need to be repaid in accordance with the terms of the agreement. By signing it you agreed to the terms.

From my perspective - employment law focused - the company has a right and you have an obligation to pay the clawback due.

However as this has gone to a debt collection agency I will just tag Amethyst who has knowledge of this area in case there is something I am missing.

I presume since it has now moved to a debt collection agency the company has already made attempts to ask you to repay the amount due? Have you responded to these or just ignored them? If you did respond was it on the basis of trying to agree repayment terms but this has not been accepted by the company?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do not provide advice by PM although I may on occasion ask you to send me documents this way but any related advice will be provided back on your thread.

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X