• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Employers duty of care

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employers duty of care

I worked for 10 years for a local authority as a carer within a sheltered housing complex .
    At the end of 2009 I was implicated in a fraud case involving an elderly customer and was subsequently arrested at my home and questioned by investigators before spending several hours in a police cell.
    I was then released on police bail pending further investigation.
    Next day I was suspended from work.
    I was on bail for 10 weeks and it was only the day before I was due to answer bail that I was informed no further action would be taken
    When my employee contacted me and asked me to return to work I just fell apart from the shock of what I had been through and spent a further three months off sick with work related stress .
    I wanted to leave but wanted to show my innocence in this appealing accusation so I stuck the job out right up to my 10th year service .I couldn't bare the stress of the workplace any more and have now handed in my notice and will take early retirement at 55 from Jan 31st.
    my employer failed in its duty of care to me as they neglected their policies on ensuring financial records were in place for each customer and they should have picked up discrepancies through their internal auditing systems.
    I was thrown under the bus for their failings and have suffered so much psychological damage the experience haunts me.
    I have to live with the fact that my Dna and fingerprints are now held on a police database when I did nothing wrong
    My employer has also failed to fulfill my implied terms of employment contract by not arranging my training to nvq2 l in social care so I no have no formal qualification to take forward .
    They have tried every trick in the book to make my working day as challenging as possible and if I didn't have bills to pay and a family to support I would have left a long time ago
    I received no apology no explanation and no management were held accountable for their failings which put care staff such as myself in this position.
    ​​​​​​ .
    Tags: None

Hello

In regards to what you have mentioned above, I can provide some information on the issues you have experienced:

You are correct in saying that your employer owes you a duty of care as employers have a moral and ethical duty not to cause, or fail to prevent, physical or psychological injury (ACAS guidelines). In addition, they should have the correct records in place and as they do not, which has caused you stress, you may be able to bring a claim for breach of duty of care.

It appears that you may also have a strong claim for breach of contract if the implied term was not fulfilled. However, the training that you were expecting must be an obvious term of the contract and something that 'goes without saying' for it to be classed as an implied term. Therefore, this may be more difficult to prove.

Did your employer support you at all throughout the proceedings?

You also mentioned that they are making your day as challenging as possible, what exactly are they doing to do this? It may be worth also considering a claim for unfair dismissal (constructive dismissal) as depending on their actions, you may be able to claim that you feel leaving the company is your only choice (as it seems to be the case).
    I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
    See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
    X