• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Non-disclosure of employment tribunal documents and the final hearing bundle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-disclosure of employment tribunal documents and the final hearing bundle

Good Afternoon,

My apologies for the length of the post. Unfortunately these matters tend to be complicated.

I’m involved in an employment tribunal which is based on health and safety grounds without having two years’ service.

I have had to repeatedly ask for disclosure of documents. Including applying to the court for non-disclosure. There was also a CMD. Within the CMD it gave the final hearing bundle date as the end of October 2018. This over ran by 2-3 weeks mainly due to respondent’s late disclosure. The CMD said that the dates within it could be extended by 2 weeks with both parties consent.
    All that was included in the respondent’s disclosure of my personal file and all other associated documents was a ‘written statement of employment particulars’. In December 2018 I remembered that I had given my employers at the time of interview a CV. This included a lot of health and safety courses and training. As the case is about health and safety this would obviously be relevant and beneficial to my case. The CV I gave my employers was on a hard drive which was corrupted and I had no other copies. Over Christmas I went to stay with relatives and found a copy of my CV from that time. In the beginning of January 2019 I sent the respondents a copy of that CV saying I gave one at the time of interview. Therefore it should have been included in my personnel file and therefore be included in the bundle. They dated the CV as the date of receipt (January 2019) and included it in the electronic bundle index.

A week or two later and only when requested I received the hard copy of the final hearing bundle. Included in the bundle (without asking or telling me) is the original copy of the CV I gave to my employer at the time of interview. They have obviously never disclosed it due to my health and safety training having a negative impact on their case. It is not included in the electronic copy of the bundle index. The first hard copy they sent me was from another case. I suspect this was a stalling tactic.

I thought it was the same CV but are different. The good news is my educational qualifications, health and safety training and certificates are the same. Word for word and format. Apart from one extra on the CV I sent in. That was for an entrance into an industry award 20 plus years ago. That and all the other qualifications/training are real. I no longer have the certificates etc. The bad news is the work history is completely different. I freely admit I must have deliberately altered my CV for the job. I have had over the years numerous different copies with vastly different employment history. I have over a 30 year work history and I have worked for 20 plus companies. Several of which have ended badly. Apart from obviously not wanting to include the bad ones. I was finding in interviews I wasn’t getting jobs due to the amount of companies I had worked for. I doubt that this is relevant but I have had advice from various professional sources that my CV was too long and to tailor it to the job application i.e. lie. Again I admit I willingly did this to gain employment. I’ve never claimed I worked for a company I haven’t. I have just extended dates or altered them to cover short/ bad employment and periods of unemployment. This has been by years as well not a few months. I have also used various excuses to hide unemployment (house renovation etc). My work history is such that I couldn’t give an accurate history.
    I assume the negative impact on the case for me outweighs the benefits of the training and undermines my case as I’m seen as dishonest? If there had been full disclosure this wouldn’t have been an issue. The idea situation for me is for the CV I gave my employer to be included in the bundle and the copy I sent not included. I would also like to stop this being brought up in the tribunal. Is there any way I can achieve this and if so how? If not what is the best course of action to minimise the impact?

Also I know this is a long shot. But, is there any way I can use this to have the case thrown out in my favour? This was clearly non-disclosure of relevant documents which were beneficial to my case. This therefore raises the question of what other documents have they not disclosed. How would they affect my case? In the CMD the parties were reminded to include the other party in correspondence with the court and to assist the tribunal under rule 2. I have several instances of not including me in court communication. Plus a long email history of not disclosing documents and then only well after CMD ordered court dates and threatened with an application to the court. The documentation in question was also supplied to the court by the requested CMD date.
    Tags: None

How different is the work history comparing both CV's? You say the qualifications and training are the same but what about the skills you have learnt or the achievements you have accomplished, do these greatly differ between the 2 versions? Also, how great is the disparity in terms of extending dates of employment by years not months.

Tailoring a CV to the job, in my opinion, is about emphasising and highlight the skills from your previous employment history which are most relevant to the job you are applying for, not about lying so in that regard I do have to take some issue with the professional sources. Maybe something to take into account in the future when applying for roles. I do agree about providing a long CV so to shorten it consider providing a date range and say roles at xx companies covering the responsibilities of xxxx and skills used and attained of xxxx. Then concentrate on your most recent employment history.

In terms of the hard copy bundle it seems from what you say that only includes the original version of the CV and not the Jan 2019 version and the electronic bundle index states only disclosing the Jan 2019 version but not the original. So, they are not being consistent between their electronic index and hard copy bundle version. Two wrongs do not make a right but it does muddy the waters for them a bit as well.

I know from your previous thread last month disclosure by the other side has been a difficulty. I’ve never had the issue of trying to remove documents from a bundle but as a suggestion you could write to the other side, copy to the Court, indicating that since they have now disclosed a copy of your original application CV for the job in the hard copy bundle you respectfully request that the CV provided by you on Jan 2019 be removed as a reference in the electronic index. The reason being that it was not an identical copy of the original provided on application, it had been provided by you in the apparent absence of the ability of the respondent to disclose the original document and had been supplied merely to indicate your level of competence via courses and training in matters of H&S.
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

The training, courses, education and skills are all the same. Other than the one point mentioned earlier. The work history is very different. The CV supplied when I applied for the job has less companies on it. The last company I said I worked for is out of work history order and I said I worked there for 3 years longer than I said I did in the later CV. Basically I have lied about the length of service (by years) in companies to hide other companies I have worked for and periods of unemployment. I have had employers say at interview that they won't consider people with more than 4/5 jobs on their work history. What are you supposed to do other than lie?

The hard copy includes the original CV and the 2019 one I supplied. The electronic copy only lists the 2019 CV I supplied. It is clear that I have lied about my work history to get the job and the respondent has lied about having the CV to help their defence.

To me, what I have done is less relevant. The case is not about how I got the job. It is about how I lost the job. I wasn't asked and did not agree to the CV being added to the bundle and I should have been. I have repeatedly asked if there were further documents. I even have a document dated the end of November 2018 specifically asking if there are any further personnel documents. To which the respondent said there were no further documents. This is also included in the bundle.

As a layman I see it as I've lied to get a job. The respondent has lied effectively to the court by not giving full disclosure. The case is judged on the documentation supplied. How can I or the court believe there is no other documentation which they haven't disclosed? Is there no possibility that this can be used to end the case now in my favour?
      Last edited by UC989; 22nd January 2019, 20:42:PM. Reason: Clarity

Comment

"The case is judged on the documentation supplied"

Yeah I believed exactly the same going into my tribunal. On losing, it became clear that my case was judged on who could tell the most bullsh!t regardless of how much it conflicted with disclosed documents!

Comment

Putting aside the issue of your CV, the duty of disclosure is an ongoing one. If relevant documents come to either you or the Respondent’s attention after the deadline for disclosure, it must be passed to the other side promptly because the duty to disclose relevant documents does not end on the tribunal’s deadline for exchange of documents.

Are there still documents that you reasonably believe that the other side should have in their possession which have not been disclosed either via the hardcopy bundle or the electronic version. If so then these need to be listed and sent to the Respondent with a copy to the Tribunal. If they are not forthcoming, then you may be able to apply to the Tribunal to make an order for specific disclosure if it believes that they are relevant documents and that they have been withheld. The order may take the form of an “unless” order meaning that unless the order is complied with by a certain date, the party could be struck out without further consideration of the proceedings.
          If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

No.There are no other documents I can think of. Whether there are documents which are relevant I'll never know. It is so frustrating when lawyers act in this way. But I suppose that's the game and the odd's are stacked. Thank you for your help. I'll update when and if I know more.

Comment

Good luck and would be great to hear how you are getting on

You know where we are if you need any more help.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X