• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Kicked by horse and resigned before healed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kicked by horse and resigned before healed

I'm writing on behalf of my sister who has got herself into a bit of an unusual situation and trying to work out what is best for her to do.

Her job involves working with horses and she was kicked by a horse which broke 2 of her ribs.

She took time off work and was advised by her doctor to rest.

Prior to the accident she had been looking for another job which she decided to accept and believed that she would be ready to work again within 2 weeks so gave her 4 weeks notice thinking the time off sick plus holiday owed would mean she would not have to go back to the horse job.

She has recently been in a lot of pain and turns out that she will need at least a month before she is fit to work which will be after her notice period has expired meaning she will no longer get sick pay from her employer.

She's concerned that she will have no income during the period after her notice has expired and before she is fit to start work at the new job.

Is there anything she can do?

Thanks!
    Tags: None

Sorry to hear about your sister's situation. Sorry just a few questions for some clarification.

Does she have a start date with her new employer?
    When is she due to finish at the horse job?
    When has she been signed off work to?
    If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
    If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

No start date with new employer but they are in communication and they have agreed she can start as soon as she is fit again.

Due to finish on 7th January at horse job.

Signed off until 30th Dec.

Comment

So I presume, from what you have said, she is likely to continue being off sick beyond both 30th Dec the end of current Fitness to Work Certificate and 7th Jan, when her notice at her job is finished. Unfortunately having handed in her notice, to go to another job, there is no reason for her current employer to extend her notice period if your sister has provided what is required.

I am however just wondering whether there is anything in regard to this being an injury sustained at work that might give an avenue to explore. For this I need to tag Peridot who has more experience of the legal implications of dealing with injuries sustained at work. Just to warn you though as we are coming up to the weekend you may have to wait for a response until Mon.
        If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
        If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Thanks again. Look forward to hearing any other advice next week.

All the best
          Tim

Comment

Hi Tim55,
            Sorry to hear of your sisters injury. I think Ula is wondering whether there is a potential claim against her current employer for the injury she sustained at work.
            To explore this aspect we’d need a bit more information about how the injury was sustained. Was there anything the employer could or should have done to prevent it? Was the horse known to be a problem? Is there a specific procedure that should be followed when dealing with this particular horse. Had your sister received adequate training to deal with the horses or was this a genuine accident?
            sorry more questions than answers but may be worth considering.
            I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X