• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Unfair Contract - Can I challenge?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair Contract - Can I challenge?

Hi,

I have a friend who is a teacher. They have been working for an employer for five years. They started on a zero hour contract then converted to a full time staff member for a period of 6 months. They received a full time contract. After the 6 month period had ended, they were back onto the zero hour contract. They have now been giving a full time contract which is term time. They have the holidays off which means that there pay is approximately £4K less than what would have been if term time was added into the contract.

There contract states 37 hours per week but they work just over 40 hours. There contract also states start time is 9.00am however classes commence at 8.45am. Other staff members are on 36k and the other two are on 31K. My friend is on 25K. Other staff members are paid for the full 52 weeks however, my friend is only paid for 38 weeks. They have been told that they cannot change the terms of the contract and that is final.

My friend wants to know if they can do something about this as it is unfair they work the same hours and get paid less than the rest of the staff.

Thanks

Does your friend get paid a salary or an hourly rate ?
    If salary is it paid over 12 months ? ( ie £2k ish a month before tax/ni )
    Does she have to take her holiday entitlement in school holidays ?

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

[QUOTE=Amethyst;n1432474]Does your friend get paid a salary or an hourly rate ?
      If salary is it paid over 12 months ? ( ie £2k ish a month before tax/ni )
      Does she have to take her holiday entitlement in school holidays ?

Hi Amethyst,

Thank you for your reply.

My friend gets paid monthly and it is indeed paid over the course of 12 months. Thye do not get paid during school holidays. They are expected to carry out any work during term time. The only holidays are school holidays. They cannot book any holidays as they are not entitled to them as they are given term time off and reduced pay.

Thanks

Comment

Hi, is anyone able to shed some light on the above at all?

Comment

your friend has colleagues in the same position?
          It seems on the face of it a breach of the Equality Act 2010 .
          Are they members of a union, who could negotiate on their behalf?

Tagging Ula & paulajayne who know lots more than i about employment law

Comment

des8 Thank for your help.

Ula and paulajayne any help will be appreciated.

Comment

Are you certain that your friend is working to the same contract terms as the other people? I believe in the education environment there are several types of contracts available.

It sounds like your friend has been offered a term time only contract, which given what you have said seems consistent as employees working on a term time only basis are not allowed to take, during term time, the annual leave that they are entitled to, but the hourly rate of pay that they receive takes account of this entitlement.

To challenge the fairness of the contract your friend has been given, there would need to be some certainty that the comparator colleagues are working to the same contract terms. Also, in terms of pay where does your friend sit on the teacher pay scale, assuming they are in a state school, and again is this the same as the comparator colleagues?

In the meantime, there is an issue on the start time as stated in your friend’s contract, particularly if classes start at 8.45am and they are expected to be in the class at that time. Effectively the start time of the contract should be 8.45am, although I expect your friend realises that they will need to be in work a bit earlier to ensure that their classroom is ready for this start time.

Your responses to the questions I have raised would be helpful in providing more assistance.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
                Are you certain that your friend is working to the same contract terms as the other people? I believe in the education environment there are several types of contracts available.

It sounds like your friend has been offered a term time only contract, which given what you have said seems consistent as employees working on a term time only basis are not allowed to take, during term time, the annual leave that they are entitled to, but the hourly rate of pay that they receive takes account of this entitlement.

To challenge the fairness of the contract your friend has been given, there would need to be some certainty that the comparator colleagues are working to the same contract terms. Also, in terms of pay where does your friend sit on the teacher pay scale, assuming they are in a state school, and again is this the same as the comparator colleagues?

In the meantime, there is an issue on the start time as stated in your friend’s contract, particularly if classes start at 8.45am and they are expected to be in the class at that time. Effectively the start time of the contract should be 8.45am, although I expect your friend realises that they will need to be in work a bit earlier to ensure that their classroom is ready for this start time.

Your responses to the questions I have raised would be helpful in providing more assistance.
                Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

They state they are on the same contract terms as the the rest of the employees but receives a lower salary due to term time contract. In effect the same roles and duties are carried out baring the fact that they are not allowed to get paid for any work during term time due to the contract and the other employees are on a full time contract.

They said they will join the union team. They have also mentioned the start times to manager who said they will discuss this during the next appraisal.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X