• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Can employer claim a tax refund to offset holidays owed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can employer claim a tax refund to offset holidays owed?

I have just received my final payslip from my previous employer and it seems they have refunded £260 from my income tax on my final wage of £75 to off set holidays taken above my entitlements.

My total gross earnings up to and including this month is £9765.

I worked out that I have paid around £840 tax so far this year however my cumulative tax paid shows as £580.

I shouldn't have paid any tax on my final salary of £75, but there is -£260 in the deductions column.

Are they allowed to use my income tax to claim back holidays? Will this not lead to an underpayment to HMRC once I start a new job?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Tags: None

HAs your employer said that they are adjusting your final wage tax and holiday pay wise?
    What holiday pay were you owed ?
    How did you final salary payment work out at £75 ? Did you only work a couple days over the previous month end ?

You could check https://www.gov.uk/check-income-tax-current-year

You earn around £1395 a month before tax/NI ? ( about £16.5k per annum )

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hi sorry yes I should of mentioned. I left on the 01/10/18 and was only paid for that day in this pay period.

My annual salary is £20500.

Comment

Before any pension deductions etc. My employer didn't expressly tell me that they were taking the holiday back I'd assumed I would get a letter about it as I had to leave quite suddenly.

Sorry it posted before I finished.

Here is the payslip. I used rounded figures above.

Attached Files

Comment

Have you got previous months payslip for comparison. Might assist.

Tagging Ula for you.
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Sorry I don't. They were electronic to work intranet.

The minus in deductions means I have recieved a tax rebate in this months wage. I can't understand why they have done that this month.

When I get paid from the new job I'm going to owe that tax to HMRC as spread over the year I will have underpaid.

If you look at the cumulative figure I have paid more Ni than tax.

I'm assuming HMRC haven't decided to give it to me off their own backs, I dont understand why they would since I definitely haven't overpaid.

Comment

By the looks of the calculation you overtook holiday by 4.5 days. Do you agree with this? However the deduction could only be made if there was provision in your contract to do so. So you should check this.

Your employer will not have given you a tax refund to cover the cost of the deduction for overtaken holiday. I suspect that your company's payroll system would have recalculated your tax paid to date against your salary to date which would take into account only getting £75 for the last month and you will have overpaid tax hence the refund. You can always give them a call to confirm this is the case.
              If you would like a one-to-one expert consultation with me on your employment issue than I can be contacted by emailing admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com

I do my best to provide good practical advice, however I do so without liability.
              If you have any doubts then do please seek professional legal advice.

You can’t always stop the waves but you can learn to surf.

You are braver than you believe, smarter than you think and stronger than you seem.

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X