• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

3 Month Notice Period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Month Notice Period

Hi all, first post, after some advice. Will try to keep it brief.

I have recently drifted beyond my 6 months probation period in full time employment. I received a verbal offer from another company about a week before my probation ended, but they didn’t quite get the physical contract to me in time. According to my contract, I must now give 12 weeks notice as opposed to just 1 week, as was the case whilst on probation.

The new company know this, and are generally content to wait for me if needed, since they didn’t get the contract to me in time. However, my contract actually states “that my appointment will be confirmed upon satisfactory completion of probation”. I have not received any confirmation at all that my probation period is over and that my appointment is confirmed, nor have I received any probationary interviews/letters whilst on probation.

I actually handed my notice in 3 weeks ago, requesting they release me as at 31st Aug. My boss has just held me in limbo stating that I need to have a conversation with the MD who has been in leave and isn’t back until Mon 3rd Aug, the earliest I will be able to talk with him.

Can I plausibly argue that I am still considered to be on probation, thus only be required to give 1 weeks notice? I just wanted to get some views from those in the know. I think my logic is sound but it may constitute a weak argument if legal action was taken against me for breach of contract, should I need to walk out. Thanks in advance to all that reply.
    Tags: None

Sorry just re-read this. MD is back Mon 3rd Sep, not Aug. Thanks

Comment

“that my appointment will be confirmed upon satisfactory completion of probation”

As that ^ doesn't say that it will be confirmed orally or in writing, it could be read as your appointment being confirmed automatically at 6 months.

Do you know what the usual process is there? Were other employees informed that they had completed their probation period?

Comment

Hi, thanks for response. Speaking to some colleagues today, they have asserted that they have been required to send out confirmation of appointment letters to staff who have completed probation, and that they were prompted to do this by HR as otherwise they would still be considered to be on probation.

Comment

In that case, as the normal process is to issue a letter confirming appointment on completion of probation and you have not received such a letter, you remain on probation. Therefore, your notice period should still be 1 week.
          It was very thoughtful of you to give them a longer than necessary notice period (until 31st August) so as to give them additional time to recruit a replacement.

BTW you don't need the MD's consent/permission. This is employment, not slavery.

Comment

I agree, how thoughtful of me to agree notice until 31st Aug, lol. I know the MD thing is just a tactic to try and hold me over.

So I called my boss today and told him I’m leaving Friday this week, and asserted the same by email too. He didn’t like it, but took it well, no mention of breach of contract. I also called my new boss and told him I’m starting on Monday, he was delighted.

Thanks for your posts. I feel more confident that if something comes of this further down the line, I can go back and play this card.

Many thanks.

Comment

Unless you have signed something which states that your notice period has increased to such an excessive amount, I do not see how they could hold you to this from a legal perspective.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X