• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Final written warnings

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final written warnings

Do final warnings actually expire?

My partner works in a prison and was given a final warning for 12 months for an alleged breach of H&S
    6 months after this they were assaulted at work by a prisoner. The prisoner alleged racism and partner was suspended from work pending an investigation.
    This investigation has lasted 10 months ,not because of any complexities but purely because of incompetence by the employer.
    Anyway the outcome was that the allegations wete downgraded from gross to just misconduct and that they will be downgraded to a lower (9k less) position for a year and given a further 12 month final because the previous one was still live at the time of this further incident.
    Can this be right???
    Any help,opinions welcomed.
    Thanks .W

Tags: conditions

Nobody ???

Comment

I'm not wholly familiar with employment law but here ia some things to think about.

From my maths 6 months in then plus another 10 months = 16 months this is the time lapsed from issuing one final written warning to the next. This problem is by the sounds of it they have issued it retrospectively from the time of offence so there should only be 2 months left on it now. If they have issued it from the end of the investigation the previous one would not be live as it ruins out in 12 months.

If they claim it was live why did they not sack your partner?

Regarding your partners demotion. In a nutshell , the company can demote your husband for misconduct, however you would need to seek independent legal advice for the finer details. I.e is the decrease in salary above board etc.

The information I supply is provided for informational purposes only and, should not be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi Wilko65,

It would be sensible for your partner to look at the Prison policy for disciplinary matters which will set out how issues are dealt with. Employers are encouraged to follow the ACAS code of practice which provides guidance on how to deal with employment issues.

Their code of practice doesn't give specific information about the length of time a disciplinary penalty should remain valid but suggests
        that a period of
        12 months for a final written warning is appropriate.

However the
        appropriate length of a warning's
        validity may, in individual cases, depend on the nature of the offence/poor performance, and the employee's previous disciplinary/performance history. Once aa warning has expired, it should not normally be taken into account in any later disciplinary/poor performance proceedings against the employee, although there are limited circumstances where it can be. This link may help explain what is usual recommended practice:-
        http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1774

As far as setting a further 12 month period for the warning to last it may be that as only 6mths of the initial 12 mth final warning was completed while your partner was in work before he was suspended pending investigation of the alleged racism they are continuing with the 6mths left on the first warning? There are considerations the employer makes when deciding on 6mths or 12 month warnings depending on the type of disciplinary matter it is. You have mentioned H&S as the initial reason for the 12mth period. This further incident would appear to be unrelated to the H&S issue and is of course up to the employer how they deal with it depending on the circumstances of the misconduct.

ACAS are a good source of information for both employers and employees where you may find some explanations for why the employer has dealt with things in the way they have. In addition your partner's disciplinary procedure will be a good place to start as this will set out the employer's procedures they follow and what the employee can/can't do.
        I am a qualified solicitor and am happy to try and assist informally, where needed.

Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any practical advice I give is without liability. I do not represent people on the forum.

If in doubt you should always seek professional face to face legal advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X