• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.
  • If you need direct help with your employment issue you can contact us at admin@legalbeaglesgroup.com for further assistance. This will give you access to “off-forum” support on a one-to- one basis from an experienced employment law expert for which we would welcome that you make a donation to help towards their time spent assisting on your matter. You can do this by clicking on the donate button in the box below.

Redundancy selection criteria

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redundancy selection criteria

I've been made redundant by a selection criteria that was almost entirely subjective in its format . It could be argued that due to the nature of my work this was to be expected . The company has no performance management structure or appraisals etc in place. On 2 particular criteria relating to performance I've scored low, and justification is in my opinion weak. One criteria has no documentary evidence to support the low score. Another criteria has 2 minor indiscretions on file (which were formally agreed with me)plus 3 dubious "notes" that are a records of conversations that took and in my view are an attempt to create a view that I'm a problem employee . To give one example it relates to having made a spend on expenses that had been signed off many times previously. It may have been fair to pick it up that there was a cheaper way to do something but to put it on file unseen then bring it out to bolster justification for a low score for a criteria which relates to conduct is not acceptable. I never saw the content of any of these notes prior to going on my HR file so that seems like bad practice to me.
    So the company have offered me about 5 week salary in early conciliation for "commercial reasons" I.e it's cheaper and less bother due to my appeal and now early conciliation. About half of this sum is owed to me anyway in unauthorised deductions and breach of contract which leaves me short of money owing to me for length of service and holidays I would have accrued which I'm pretty certain of winning at ET. Both of the mentioned contractual issues equate to just over half a months net salary. I'm looking for 2 months salary to put this case to bed but the company are saying take it or put a claim in. So the help I'm seeking is thus:
    1. What will a tribunal look for in justifying criteria scoring as in my case where it mostly subjective.
    2. Do the content of notes on file have to to be shared and agreed before going on file.
    3. How does my offer look in comparison to a typical offer if one exists bearing in mind the company owe me around half of what they've offered anyway.
    4. As both criteria I've mentioned received the same low score (both relating to conduct type criteria such as flexibility adaptability behaviours etc)with one having some notes and greater amount of so called "evidence" to support it while the other had non how would this be viewed.
    Another area that's troubling me is the selection pool. I was 1 of the 2 people put into the selection pool. We're both senior experienced professionals yet a third person was spared going into the pool as they are a bit more senior in rank and have additional management responsibilities and manage the team I'm part of. I would say they spend on average 80% of their time doing what I do and the rest on management tasks. The company have said they were not included in the pool as it would have left a skills gap. Both myself and the other candidate have previous experience doing these additional management elements as we've been in the profession a long time and are both very experienced mature professionals. The argument was made that there would be no-one to train either of us up. Interestiny that other more senior person was involved with scoring the selection criteria as I worked directly with and for them as my line manager. That person was not present throughout the consultation process or when the scores were revealed (HOD covered this)so I did not have an opportunity to challenge both of the scorers on my scores which were combined and averaged. Only 1 of the scorers was present throughout the whole consultation process. As I'm not as confident of proving unfair dismissal as I am the other 2 money related issues previously mentioned. I would welcome thoughts from anyone with experience or knowledge of such cases. Thanks in advance
    Wayne
    Tags: None

Winning an unfair dismissal claim on the grounds of the operation of the redundancy selection criteria is very difficult. Further your employer has documentary evidence (which is always preferred). It won't matter that you hadn't seen it before.
    Therefore the chances of you winning this aspect of your claims is very low.

You have 2 other winnable claims that will get you a couple of weeks wages.
    Pressing forward with a Tribunal claim will be more stressful and time consuming than you can imagine.

So, I would strongly advise you to take the 5 weeks salary in settlement of all your claims, consider the extra couple of weeks pay a bonus and move on happily.

Comment

Yes that's the conclusion I had come to. I'd like to personally thank you for great advice which gave me both the knowledge and confidence to present an argument to my former employer. Who knows it may have helped soften then up just a bit. Thank you for your help in my hour of need. I'm going to pay my dues here for the VIP membership. All the best
      Wayne

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Welcome to LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X