• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

University 5 year registration period+Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University 5 year registration period+Help

Hi,

Im not sure if this is the right place to get advice on my query but i thought id give it a try.

Basically i went on to do a Bsc course in 2005 i was due to complete the course in 2008 but due to personal problems i wasnt able to. I sucessfully completed my first and second year and went on to my final year in the academic year 2007/8, due to personal problems i was given extenuating circumstances for all my modules to complete in academic year 2008/9 as first attempts. At my university we have to complete 8 modules, 4 in semester 1 and 4 in semester 2. When i entered the 2008/9 academic year semester 1 i was still suffering from personal problems so i decided to change some of my modules which
    meant i basically had to complete a years worth of modules in semester 2, my head was not in the right place at the time i made the decision and i didnt
    really know why i changed my modules. At the time i changed my modules i had no one what so ever say to me you will not be able to complete a years
    worth of work in one semester it is to much no advice was given from my tutor when i asked her to sign the forms to change my modules and my student
    office did not say i will struggle to cope with the amount of work to do in one semester.

I went on to semester 2 of the academic year 2008/9 after about a month i really started to feel the pressure and i couldnt cope with the workload there
    was way too much to do in the amount time i had it wasnt impossible but i didnt plan out everything. So i decided to try and gain extenuating circumstances agian on the basis the build up of work is affecting my ability to study, after discussing things with my tutor we decided to try and break up the workload so i could complete 4 modules in the may exam week and then theother 4 in the july resit week that way i had enough time to complete everything so i was hoping for the university to see the kind of problem i was in and of course this was rejected because there was not any independant evidence to back up my claim. After about a month of receiving the decision i recieved an email basically stating my extenuating circumstances has been accepted and the modules i applied for extenuating circumstances i could resit in the july resit week.

I was confused at the time because i had been told it was rejected then a month later it was accepted, apparently the reason why it was accepted eventualy was because there had been an error made when assessing my application and i was allowed to resit 4 of my modules. By that time it was too late because i was in the month of june and i did as much as i could for the may exam week and i failed most modules when i did get my results.

I then went on to complain and a member of staff at the university took my case to sort things out within the university, i was given a decision that i was
    allowed to continue on to the 2009/10 academic year and all the modules that were failed in 2008/9 academic year i was allowed to complete these as
    first sits. I am now left in a situation where i have completed everything for my degree except for one exam, yes one exam, because i have used up
    all my 5 year registration period to complete my degree i cannot go back to university this academic year 2010/11 so i was awarded a Non honours degree
    which i feel is unfair.

I have appealed to the university against the decision explaining everything and they have rejected my appeal to extend my registration period to allow
    to me to complete the last exam and and gain a HONOURS degree which i should have. My arguement is that i lost a year of my registration period due
    to the fact i was allowed to go on to the academic year 2008/9 with a years worth of modules to complete in one semester which i should not have been allowed to do but no member of staff advised me or stopped from doing so, the extenuating circumstances procedure was done incorrectly whereas if it had been done correctly i would have been able to complete everything if my workload had been broken down and i had more time to complete everything, i was given bad advice from members of staff at the university.

It seems the university either want more evidence or believe my arguements are not valid, but i am left with a non honours degree which i should have, there must be someone who can help me in my situation and give me some advice or some sort of legal info, i am begging for someone to help me.

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
Working...
X