• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Coursework Assistance Required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coursework Assistance Required

Hi all,

Doing some coursework, I require some advice for a fictional law case. Based on the case below:

- Advise if Neptune is contractually obliged to pay Hercules £400,000 £150,000 or £100,000?Â*
    - Briefly justify why Scenario

Hercules Engineering (Hercules) has secured a contract to divert and canalise two rivers in connection with a larger project for the decontamination of land belonging to Augeas Developments (Augeas).
    Â*
    As part of its temporary works, Hercules obtains pumps from Neptune Services (Neptune). Neptune offered to hire the pumps to Hercules on its standard terms for 20 weeks at £5,000 per week plus £500 collection fee. In addition, under its standard terms Neptune sought to limit its liability for losses caused by defects in the pumps to the anticipated hire fee (£100,000). Hercules responded stating that it would pay £5,000 per week hire charge but expected the delivery and collection fee to be included in the hire fee and would not accept any limitation of liability. Neptune responded agreeing to waive the delivery and collection fee and offering to depart from its standard terms by increasing its liability cap to £150,000. Hercules responded noting the waiver of the delivery and collection fee and advised Neptune it would reflect on its position in relation to the proposed limitation of liability before responding.
    Â*
    As the pumps were now needed urgently, Hercules sent its own vehicle to collect them from Neptune’s local depot. Hercules’ driver handed Neptune’s depot manager a note stating that he was there to collect pumps being hired by Hercules. Attached to this note was a copy of the most recent exchange of correspondence between Hercules and Neptune. The note also stated that even though Hercules was now collecting the pumps it was still prepared to pay the £5,000 per week hire fee. The pumps were loaded onto the vehicle and taken to site.
    Â*
    There was no further correspondence between Hercules and Neptune in relation to the hire agreement. Hercules began paying the £5,000 weekly hire fee to Neptune.
    Â*
    Twelve weeks into the hire period, several of the pumps broke down overnight due to defective components. As a direct result of this loss of pumping capacity the river diversion works were affected by flooding which caused Hercules losses of £400,000. Hercules seeks to recover these losses from Neptune. Neptune admits liability but states it considers it is only obliged to pay Hercules £100,000 (the liability cap under its original hire offer).

Thanks in advance
    Tags: None

If you are expecting us to give you the answers to your homework (I'm certainly not) then you might not get the answers you are looking for.

Are you required to focus on anything specific for your coursework?

What are your thoughts to the question, do you have an answer and what's your thought process?

Happy to point in the right direction but its not helpful to give you the answers.
    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Apologies i should have made it clear I have an answer but wanted some guidance into if you believe it is correct. I think Neptune is obliged to pay £100,000. This is the only offer than has been accepted. Hercules waived delivery and collection fee and didn't finalise its position on liability.
      The counter offers have had no acceptance. No response also forms no acceptance to an offer (Felthouse v Bindley 1862)Â*

Comment

Neptune responded agreeing to waive the delivery and collection fee and offering to depart from its standard terms by increasing its liability cap to £150,000. Hercules responded noting the waiver of the delivery and collection fee and advised Neptune it would reflect on its position in relation to the proposed limitation of liability before responding.

As the pumps were now needed urgently, Hercules sent its own vehicle to collect them from Neptune's local depot. Hercules' driver handed Neptune's depot manager a note stating that he was there to collect pumps being hired by Hercules. Attached to this note was a copy of the most recent exchange of correspondence between Hercules and Neptune. The note also stated that even though Hercules was now collecting the pumps it was still prepared to pay the £5,000 per week hire fee. The pumps were loaded onto the vehicle and taken to site.

There was no further correspondence between Hercules and Neptune in relation to the hire agreement. Hercules began paying the £5,000 weekly hire fee to Neptune.
        Can't say that I would agree with your answer. You might want to get out your textbook and look at 'battle of the forms' with reference to the above paragraphs.
        If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        LEGAL DISCLAIMER
        Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I will be happy to help you with coursework!

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.
          Working...
          X