• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

does letter of claim has a validity period

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does letter of claim has a validity period

Hi,

hope everyone is well

after a letter of claim is issued by the claimant for a claim (which I think comes under contract law), is there a period within which they will have to issue court proceedings?

or can they sleep on it for however long they want and only issue the claim when they fancy?

another way of asking this is, after issuing a letter of claim, is they a period after which they may have to issue another?

the context is, a customer of our business issued a claim for refund through lawyers, we declined with reasons and we have not heard from their lawyers since then?

but he has been messaging us directly...
    Tags: None

OK, so he is not paying lawyers and not following through on threats to take action. Just keep an eye on this, and be prepared to act if anything does happen.

But no, there is no time limit other than the statutory limitation period.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

thanks for the reply atticus , but he has been contacting us directly to establish some facts about the case.

Given the situation, should we give him all the facts or not?

we are interested to settle the matter out of court, but not sure the best way to deal with this..any advice please ?

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post

But no, there is no time limit other than the statutory limitation period.
        Hi atticus , I'v been reading about this, so if I understand correctly, as long as Letter of claim is issued within the statutory limitation period (6 years for contract law), then the clock stops and the claimant can indefinite time to file the claim with the court? is that right?

Comment

I was reading https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...n_conduct#17.1

and it seems the sending of Letter of Claim does not stop the clock? only once the claim is issued the clock stops. is my understanding correct?

Comment

Originally posted by peeta View Post

Hi atticus , I'v been reading about this, so if I understand correctly, as long as Letter of claim is issued within the statutory limitation period (6 years for contract law), then the clock stops and the claimant can indefinite time to file the claim with the court? is that right?
            No. that is not right. It is court proceedings that must be commenced before the limitation period expires.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read the Judiciary's handbook for litigants in person: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
            X