• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Have I received a letter before action?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I received a letter before action?

Evening, I have today received a letter by courier from the buyer of a pony I sold to them in October. It claims misrepresentation of sale, but contains within no evidence other than stated claims written into the letter and the threatening of court action if I do not respond within 7 days. So is this to be considered as a letter before action and therefore do I have to respond?? I am very much going to fight this either way.
    Tags: None

If it was a serious letter before action, it would be clearer. Reply by denying any liability, but without further explanation.

Comment

letter before action contains many pages of questionnaire

Comment

Hi.
        I've received a letter from security Ukcrs, regarding shop lifting in B&Q
        They charge me 400£ that I need to pay.
        But B&Q didn't say anything about charging.
        They only banned me in all B&Q for 5 years. Police didn't involved, they took the item and my personal details and told me to leave.
        Please could you help me in this case? What should I do?
        The letter says if I ignore it, I have to go to civil court.
        Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
          letter before action contains many pages of questionnaire
          Sorry, but a letter before action explains the grounds for the proposed claim, requires the recipient to do something to settle the claim, and threatens court action if the claim is not settled. See for example para 6 of the Practice Direction on pre-action conduct: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...action_conduct

Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Ramy View Post
            Hi.
            I've received a letter from security Ukcrs, regarding shop lifting in B&Q
            They charge me 400£ that I need to pay.
            But B&Q didn't say anything about charging.
            They only banned me in all B&Q for 5 years. Police didn't involved, they took the item and my personal details and told me to leave.
            Please could you help me in this case? What should I do?
            The letter says if I ignore it, I have to go to civil court.
            Thanks in advance.
            You would do best to start a new thread. Or search here for Retail Loss Prevention or RLP.

I see this is not your first post about this type of thing.
            Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Good evening. Based on the information you have provided, it is possible that the letter you received could be considered a letter before action. As such, you must take it seriously and consider responding to it in a timely and appropriate manner. However, before doing so, it may be prudent to seek legal advice from a qualified professional Criminal Appeal Lawyers who can help you understand your rights and obligations in this situation. This can help ensure that you respond in a way that protects your interests and avoids any potential pitfalls. It is also worth noting that the burden of proof in a misrepresentation claim typically rests on the buyer. Therefore, if you believe that you have not misrepresented the pony in question, you may have a strong defence against any legal action. In any case, it is important to approach this matter calmly and professionally and to seek out the guidance of qualified experts as needed.

Comment

where are you based as your response id advertising in UK
                Last edited by MIKE770; 28th March 2023, 17:07:PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post

where are you based as your response id advertising in UK
                  You do realise that by quoting the spammer you are boosting the SEO of his spammy link, don't you Mike?

Comment

I am not a lawyer but I recently studied the Misrepresentation Act to make a claim.

Misrepresentation occurs when the seller makes a false statement (negligently or fraudulently) in writing or verbally that induces the buyer to enter into a contract, and the buyer suffers a loss.

If the false statement is verbal how does the buyer prove this in court? Would the claimant's case be helped if he or she was accompanied by a witness who was prepared to attend court and confirm the false statement was made by the seller?

Perhaps Atticus can provide advice on this.

Comment

Perhaps I can, but please do not hijack threads. You know how to start a new topic.

Comment

Sorry Atticus, not trying to hijack the thread. I accept this wasn't Don4482's original question, but just thought advice on misrepresentation statements made verbally would help Don4482 to contest a claim. Selling a horse or pony is likely to involve verbal statements.

Comment

A civil claim needs to be proved on the balance of probabilities. Is what is asserted more likely to have happened, been said etc than not?

When it's just a case of one person's word against the other's, then going to court is a lottery.

But often there is something else, something that was said or done or written that can support a party's case, so that the evidence is not just what the person says was said. That can help persuade the judge that it is more likely that what you are saying is correct.

Comment

If you receive a letter alleging that a sale was misled and contains a threat of legal action, this may be considered a pre-action letter. Therefore, you are advised to respond within the prescribed 7-day time limit, as failure to do so may result in legal proceedings being initiated against you. It is important to seek legal advice before formulating an answer and carefully study the claims made in the letter, try contacting nj criminal lawyers. If you intend to contest the claims made, you should provide evidence to support your position and consider hiring an attorney to represent you. Ultimately, it is important to take this issue seriously and respond in a timely and appropriate manner in order to protect your legal rights.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X