• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter Before Action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter Before Action

Can someone please advise as I'm a bit lost with this. I'm being taken to court and have already followed the court directions and submitted documents to the court and the other party. The other party did not comply and sent me nothing. Now, more than a month later I have received pre-action letter from a solicitor - seeking money, of course - and warning me about paragraph 15 of practice-direction? I've tried googling and can't make head nor tail of it. Surely, it's all a matter for the court as I've complied with the court directions?
    Tags: None

Is this new correspondence about the same subject matter as the court case? If so, have you asked this solicitor if he is aware of the existing court proceedings?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thanks for responding Atticus. The letter states that if I do not pay or follow practice-directions protocol, particularly paragraph 15 on the MOJ website then he has been instructed to proceed with the formal court case. I've looked at the MOJ website and there are hundreds of items in the searches, none of which seem applicable. The only thing I can think of doing is sending a letter acknowledging his letter and nothing more. The letter is about the same subject matter.
      Last edited by jannijan; 17th September 2022, 18:11:PM. Reason: Missed a bit out.

Comment

Ask them why they have written that letter when their client has already started a court claim.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Thank you Atticus. I will do and I will post on here what the response is as I appreciate you taking the time and effort to advise me.

Comment

I received a response from the claimant's lawyers this morning in response to my email of last night. They were unaware that their client had started any legal action and have put my account "on hold". I also asked why their client failed to comply with the court direction to let me have their evidence by mid August. I complied. They have now contacted their client seeking a response and will let me know when they hear anything. I will post the next response.

Comment

That is a good start. Do come back if you need.

Comment

Thank you Atticus. I'll keep posting as it may well help someone else who finds themself in the same situation.

Comment

I've heard nothing from anyone and have still not received the bundle of evidence the other party were directed to send me by the court. Any advice on what I should do now? Should I contact the court or just turn up at court on the appointed day of the case?

Comment

Update: I eventually phoned to court only to find that the other party had "discontinued" the case a month ago. Apparently, they were supposed to tell me but they didn't bother.

Comment

court should of sent discontinuance letter

Comment

The claimant should have served Notice of Discontinuance.

Comment

The woman I spoke to at the court, on the phone, said that the claimant should have sent me a notice of discontinuance. It's worrying that I haven't had anything in writing from the court but they seemed to think that the claimant had sent me notice. Nothing seems to work as it should these days. Thank you Atticus for guiding me through this and thank you too Mike770 for your input.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                          See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                          X