• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Lowell BT claim from 2017/18 Now with Overdales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowell BT claim from 2017/18 Now with Overdales

Hi all,

I took out a one month trial of £30 to watch BT Sport and they tried to charge me for more than that. I refused to pay and the account accrued £179 before a default was registered. I heard nothing for three years then Lowell began chasing me for the money. I maintain I didn’t have a BT account, just a month as a one off. I have ignored Lowell up to now but Overdales have now issued a letter asking me to pay in full or set up an account to pay in instalments. Advice please? Do I pay up despite the dispute or do I do something different? The alleged debt is not statute barred. Thank you.
    Tags: None

Hi PAVA017

Don't panic.

Did you cancel the Trial after the trial period of 30 days?

a) Send BT a Subject Access Request, they have 30 days to provide all the data on the account. Make sure you get Proof of Postage.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/gu...ccess-request/

b) Send Overdale's the following template. Again get Proof of Postage.

https://nationaldebtline.org/sample-...-not-owe-debt/

Comment

Hi ECHAT11,

I called BT at the time after sending a letter to cancel and they said that they would look into why this hadn’t registered. Following that they said I was tied in. I can’t find any emails from then or did I retain any letters once a year had gone by with no contact unfortunately.

I will follow your advice and send both letters special delivery today.
      Thank you.

Comment

Update the thread once you get a response.

Comment

I will do. Thank you.

Comment

Hi.
            Here’s an update! I received a disc from BT and a letter stating that I needed to use my BT account number to access the information. I had to call them to get this as I have no existing account details. The disc contained five PDFs, including one titled ‘communication’. All were empty. I’m not sure what this means. Is it an error or do they not have any data at all? If so, why not say? In the letter, it stated that if a disc were of no use, then another method of sending the information could be provided.
            Overdales,the solicitor used by Lowell, have sent no response to my request for information. Any further advice for me please? I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Comment

inform them that a paper report required save as to doubt or the ICO will be informed

Comment

Originally posted by Pavao17 View Post
                Hi.
                Here’s an update! I received a disc from BT and a letter stating that I needed to use my BT account number to access the information. I had to call them to get this as I have no existing account details. The disc contained five PDFs, including one titled ‘communication’. All were empty. I’m not sure what this means. Is it an error or do they not have any data at all? If so, why not say? In the letter, it stated that if a disc were of no use, then another method of sending the information could be provided.
                Overdales,the solicitor used by Lowell, have sent no response to my request for information. Any further advice for me please? I appreciate your help. Thank you.
                a) Here’s an update! I received a disc from BT and a letter stating that I needed to use my BT account number to access the information. I had to call them to get this as I have no existing account details.

o.k.

b) The disc contained five PDFs, including one titled ‘communication’. All were empty. I’m not sure what this means. Is it an error or do they not have any data at all? If so, why not say? In the letter, it stated that if a disc were of no use, then another method of sending the information could be provided.

BT regularly delete 'meaningful information' from accounts, so not surprised that there is nothing there.
                They normally delete it every 3 months, sometimes they do this because it suits them.

c) Overdales,the solicitor used by Lowell, have sent no response to my request for information. Any further advice for me please?

Write a follow up letter to Overdales explaining that they and BT hasn't provided the requested information, if they don't you'd like to raise a Formal Complaint.

Comment

inform them that a paper report required save as to doubt or the ICO will be informed

Comment

echat11 Thank you. I presume these letters need to be recorded delivery too? What happens if I get no response? Do I report them/complain? Will this then get rid of the default Lowell has registered for this £179.00 (BT) ?

Comment

deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by MIKE770 View Post
                        I'm not sure the ICO will be much use here.

Apparently, BT has to only keep data as long as they deem necessary, then they can delete it, that all flies in the face of SAR requests, also a right to take legal action - 6 years.

Comment

echat11 Thank you. I presume these letters need to be recorded delivery too? What happens if I get no response? Do I report them/complain? Will this then get rid of the default Lowell has registered for this £179.00 (BT) ?
                          a) I presume these letters need to be recorded delivery too?

Proof of Postage

b) What happens if I get no response?

You raise a Complaint.

c) Do I report them/complain?

Yes.

d) Will this then get rid of the default Lowell has registered for this £179.00 (BT) ?

It depends, you will have more work to do on that. BT, Lowell's can remove the Default.

Comment

echat11 Thank you. How long would I wait before complaining? To whom would I complain? Also, do I write to Overdales only, as BT has responded (albeit with zero info)?

Comment

echat11 Thank you. How long would I wait before complaining? To whom would I complain? Also, do I write to Overdales only, as BT has responded (albeit with zero info)?

a) How long would I wait before complaining?

Give them 30 days.

b) To whom would I complain?

Complain to Overdales.

c) Also, do I write to Overdales only, as BT has responded (albeit with zero info)?

Yes

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X