• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Clamp on hire purchase car.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clamp on hire purchase car.

My car is on hp and was clamped for a fine on another car. The clamp has been on the car for 3 weeks now, I've sent an email to Marston alone with a copy of the hp agreement. I also explained that I am a single parent, am not working and am also a vulnerable adult with various health issues. I have offered a payment plan but all I've received back is an acknowledgement of the email and nothing since. Any advice on what I should do next would be greatly appreciated.
    Tags: None

Hello

The starting point is that bailiffs are not allowed to take or seize goods that don't belong to the debtor. The goods under a hire purchase agreement belongs to the creditor at all times until you decide to exercise your right to purchase those goods. Bailiff companies like to seize cars because they are an easy target to put pressure on the debtor into paying up.

When it comes to financed cars, bailiff companies argue that the car can be seized because you have a 'beneficial interest' but that is not true. There is legally binding authority from the courts that confirms that a hire purchase vehicle is a rental agreement but with the option for the hirer to purchase the vehicle at the end of the rental period for an agreed price. Until the hirer exercises that option, the vehicle ownership remains fully with the creditor and the only interest that the hirer holds is a possessory interest i.e. you have the right to use the vehicle but nothing more.

In my view, a bailiff who clamps a car on hire purchase is liable to be sued for interference with goods and any damages/compensation that follows as a result. The question is what do you want to do about it, are you prepared to go all the way to court if that is the only option available?

Here are some suggestions:

1. Write a complaint to the creditor (make sure to send it to the appropriate department) explaining that the bailiff has unlawfully clamped your car which is on hire purchase. The bailiff company is ignoring you but because they are the creditor instructing the bailiff firm, unless immediate steps are taken to remove the clamp from the car, you will consider suing the creditor together with the bailiff company and the bailiff himself/herself. There may be questions as to the creditor's liability in this case but nevertheless still worth mentioning anyway as they will be on notice.

2. Email the bailiff company and follow up, asking them to remove the clamp as it is unlawful and the goods do not belong to you. Repeat pretty much the same as point 1.

3. Document all losses/expenses incurred as a result of the car being clamped, as well as the inconvenience such has having to get the bus, multiple connections, walking long distances etc. You may as well document how it has impacted your health given you are a vulnerable person.

4. Last option would be to consider sending a letter before action to the above parties setting out your potential claim against them and then issuing proceedings if they do not respond or resolve the problem. You have to bear in mind, the legal process can be quite daunting and stressful at times as you need to adhere to strict court timelines or run the risk of your case being chucked out. Ultimately, it comes down to you and how comfortable you are doing this.

Happy to review and feedback on any response you draft if you upload it on here first.

If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I emailed the bailiffs and the creditor bit that was before seeing this response. I am awaiting a response from both, but I will follow up with the bailiffs stating my intentions as it has been since the 3rd of February and I only received an acknowledgement response.

Comment

Hello

It seems that I will have to go down the legal route as Marston insist that they can clamp the car but they cannot remove it for sale.

Comment

Any advice on how to go down the legal route will be appreciate.

Comment

Please help! My car has being clamped by Marston yesterday qs they are looking for the previous owner. I have provided all the documents the agent asked to proof the car is legally mine ( V5/ road tax/ insurance) and yet he is not releasing the car. I went to the police they said there’s nothing they can do to help. Ive also contacted citizens advice bureau which is going to come back to me tomorrow.
            please help me! I’m drained with this situation. It’s really unfair I do not own any money to anyone.

Comment

Small claims court and contact the hire purchase company.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X