• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Letter before action - HD Law

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter before action - HD Law

Hello,

Last year i received an unexpected PPI payout from HD Law. I had no idea i was due to receive a payout and had no recollection of using HD Law, at the time i presumed my ex had made the claim and i was just receiving my half of what was owed.

Six months after receiving the money i got an invoice from HD Law for their fees. I rang them and explained i had not instructed them to act on my behalf, they then sent me copies they had of my digital signature. After asking on here i was advised that I could have possibly clicked on something on Facebook and that is how they have got me my refund. I emailed HD Law explaining this and put in a formal complaint for about 4/5 months i haven't heard a thing from them. Yesterday i received an email from a legal team explaining that as they haven't heard from me they were about to prepare a Letter before claim in line with County Court procedures.

I did reply yesterday explaining that this was in dispute and i had contacted HD Law and have not heard anything since from them.

Can anyone advise me with what next steps i should take?

Thankyou in advance
    Tags: None

Check that they are regulated by the SRA. If so lodge a complaint with the SRA and the Legal Ombudsman service as they hadn't responded previously. They might send a final response (or they might not). Don't talk to them over the phone, keep all communications in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post
      Check that they are regulated by the SRA. If so lodge a complaint with the SRA and the Legal Ombudsman service as they hadn't responded previously. They might send a final response (or they might not). Don't talk to them over the phone, keep all communications in writing.

Thankyou, they are regualted by the SRA. Would it be advisable to send an email informing them of my intention to lodge a compliant with the SRA? It was about a year ago i received the money, then an invoice around February time and now this.

Comment

I would, give them a full summary of what's happened, explain that they haven't addressed the original complaint, they haven't followed their own complaints procedure (they should respond within a specified period), send a copy of the email you sent 4/5 months ago and explain that you will consider lodging a complaint with the Legal Ombudsman.

Comment

After sending the legal team a copy of what I sent HD law when they invoiced me months ago. Today I received an email from the legal team saying I should have by now received a Letter before claim off them. Nothing has been delivered as of yet, no have the legal team acknowledged the emails I have sent regarding me disputing the invoice.

What do I do now!

Comment

EXC Can you kindly take a look.

They still haven't addressed you complaint as per their complaints procedure, even after 4 / 5 months. I would make a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman.

https://www.legalombudsman.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

Comment

Should I email them again informing them they have not addressed the compliant I sent ages ago?

Also, when I receive the Letter before claim am I still able to put in a compliant to the Legal Ombudsman. I am presuming it will land on the door mat today or tomorrow as they’ve sent me the message about it this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by els77 View Post
                Should I email them again informing them they have not addressed the compliant I sent ages ago?

Also, when I receive the Letter before claim am I still able to put in a compliant to the Legal Ombudsman. I am presuming it will land on the door mat today or tomorrow as they’ve sent me the message about it this morning.
                You complained 4/5 months ago and again a week ago, they still haven't addressed your concerns. Although they've started pre action protocols, you haven't received a claim. I would file a complaint, you lose nothing in doing that. Once they file a claim you won't be able to go to the Ombudsman.

There is no point in sending another email to them.

Comment

Ok, Thankyou I’ll file a claim with the ombudsman today. Should I not notify them that I am doing this? I do t understand how this all works with the letter of action procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by echat11 View Post

You complained 4/5 months ago and again a week ago, they still haven't addressed your concerns. Although they've started pre action protocols, you haven't received a claim. I would file a complaint, you lose nothing in doing that. Once they file a claim you won't be able to go to the Ombudsman.

There is no point in sending another email to them.
                    Indeed. els77 needs to follow this advice and register the complaint with the LO ASAP, before the 6 month time limit from when the firm should have responded to the initial complaint expires.

Comment

Originally posted by els77 View Post
                      Ok, Thankyou I’ll file a claim with the ombudsman today. Should I not notify them that I am doing this? I do t understand how this all works with the letter of action procedure.
                      You've complained, they've ignored your complaints. No you don't need to tell them, You'll be fine, new things always take a bit of time to understand. Just update the thread and do things in a timely fashion.

'm learning stuff all the time.

Comment

Just to say I think it's better to tell HD Law that you've filed a complaint with LO. That way it makes it difficult for them to continue to pursue payment while the formal complaints process is in play.

Comment

Originally posted by EXC View Post
                          Just to say I think it's better to tell HD Law that you've filed a complaint with LO. That way it makes it difficult for them to continue to pursue payment while the formal complaints process is in play.
                          I stated the following on the 20th September, 'send a copy of the email you sent 4/5 months ago and explain that you will consider lodging a complaint with the Legal Ombudsman.' I'm not sure if that's been acted on.

But as you say, it won't hurt to inform them.

Comment

Thankyou all. I received the Letter before claim yesterday. I will inform them that I’m putting a complaint in to the ombudsman again. I haven’t done it yet but it will be done by the end of today. Thankyou all for your help so far and o will keep you updated.

Comment

Update,

I put in a complaint to the ombudsman and they are investigating

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X