• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Intrum Letter before Action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intrum Letter before Action

Hi,

Hope someone can offer some advice.

Back in 2015 I received some letters from First Credit regarding an alleged debt they had purchased from HSBC, I was not aware of the debt so asked them to provide some details/proof of debt, I never heard anything further.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I get a letter before action in the post from a solicitors firm regarding the same debt so I sent the form back requesting the documents advised on this site and referencing my previous request from back in 2015.

Today I receive a replay back that the account they are claiming on is in fact made up of two separate overdrafts with HSBC and all they have supplied is some statement print outs from the mentioned accounts and have advised that they don't need to provide any other documents or proof as it's not covered by the CCA.

The accounts seem to date from 2004 and appear to have defaulted in 2013 .

What can I do next, can they really take me to court and win with nothing but these computer print outs as they claim?

Thanks for any help.
    Tags: None

Originally posted by user1979 View Post

The accounts seem to date from 2004 and appear to have defaulted in 2013 .

Thanks for any help.
    Hi

This means that the alleged debt(s) could be close to being statute barred.
    You need to pinpoint the actual 'cause of action' (see links for an explanation).

Whether or not the computer printouts are sufficient evidence would be a matter for the courts to decide (if it get to that stage).

SAR (Subject Access Request) the original creditor (HSBC) for all information they hold for the account(s).

If it were me I'd write to the solicitors saying that HSBC has been contacted requesting further & better info, necessary to deal with this.
    Do not acknowledge that you owe the money.....just that you need further info.
    But the longer you can 'long them out', the closer you move towards that cause of action for SB.

https://legalbeagles.info/library/guides_and_letters/court/subject-access-request/

CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

You and I do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
    Cohen, Herb

There is danger when a man throws his tongue into high gear before he
    gets his brain a-going.
    Phelps, C. C.

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance!"
    The last words of John Sedgwick

Comment

The law changed on statute barred debt in Jan 2019. FAQs including when 6 years start, types of debt, resetting the clock & Default Notices
      CAVEAT LECTOR

This is only my opinion - "Opinions are made to be changed --or how is truth to be got at?" (Byron)

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
      Phelps, C. C.

Comment

Time limits for recovering debts. What is the time limit for collecting debt?
        CAVEAT LECTOR

Cohen, Herb

gets his brain a-going.
        Phelps, C. C.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X