• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**WON!!** County court letter - PRA/MBNA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: County court letter - PRA/MBNA

Thank you Joanna
    Forgive me for appearing so stupid, but how do I go about this? I appreciate its my responsibility, and I'm willing to do anything to sort this.
    If you could point me in the right direction, I'd be really grateful. Should I ring the court, or write? I have legal cover with my home insurance, do you think it's worth me calling to check if they can help?
    Thanks again

Comment

Check your home insurance legal cover but it is unlikely that they will cover this type of legal matter.

You will need to file a N244 application form with a signed and dated witness statement and I would suggest a draft of your proposed defence, There is a 255 court fee to pay (though you may be entitled to fee remission it is always worth checking).

Comment

Thank you Joanna
        I will complete and send to the court tomorrow , I've just had a quick look on gov.uk and I think I can download it there. Ill look into preparing my defence using one of the templates on this site, and sending along with the fee.

Comment

Your set aside application would seem to be on the basis that you failed to file your defence in time because you were awaiting documents from the claimant... when they wrote to you beginning of august with the agreement copy did they say anything about the case being on hold until they supplied the rest of the docs, or anything like that that you can use to say you believed things were on hold until the documents were sent ?

Link to help with set aside here - Set Aside
          #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Hello Amethyst
            PRA sent nothing until the letter received on the 20th. ( see further up thread)
            They say they are still unable to supply the original default notice from the original creditor, and will send when they have it.

Comment

hello everyone.
              I'm completing the N244,and in section 3, I have written ' An order that the default judgement in this case be set aside because I was unable to file my defence on time because I was awaiting documents from the claimant. These documents were requesed under CPR31.14 and were needed as they form part of my defence.' I hope that is ok ?
              In section 10, I was going to put what I had done so far, sending copies of the correspondence I had so far , but I'm nore sure as to how to put my defence in legal sounding terms, I work for a mental health charity so this kind of thing isnt something I am used to doing im afraid. Once again, any steer is most gratefully received.

Comment

Originally posted by Dh99may View Post
                Here is all correspondence received in respect of my CPR request , as per the cover letter from PRA , the default letter from MBNA (original creditor) is still outstanding and PRA have advised they will send on. I will add the letter from PRA in additional post as I am not able to add on this .
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]25316[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25317[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25318[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]25319[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]25321[/ATTACH]
                The credit agreement is a bit fuzzy but it looks like you ticked the 'Yes' box for PPI which means they have to also send you the separate PPI documents (policy/Ts&Cs) in order to comply with your s.78 CCA request.

Did they?

Di

Comment

No Di
                  I have nothing other than what I have uploaded onto here .

Comment

An order that the default judgement dated XX XX XX be set aside pursuant to CPR 13.3 and the overriding objective. The Defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim and there is some other good reason as to why the default judgment should be set aside and the defendant be allowed to defend the claim.
                    As for section 10, you need to provide a statement of evidence in support of your application, that can be done in the large box or on a separate witness statement. I would generally suggest you set it out in a witness statement on a separate sheet as it gives you more room to explain in a bit more detail of your evidence and allow the judge to fully understand your position without having to cram it into the box on the application form but it is up to you.

As already suggested, it would also be worthwhile submitting a draft defence along with your application. Although not necessary, it does provide the judge with an idea of whether or not your defence is capable of defending the claim.

To start your witness statement off just explain the chronology of events of what has happened leading up to the default judgment. Number each paragraph 1. 2. 3. etc. and then post it up and it can be reviewed.
                    Last edited by R0b; 25th August 2016, 10:56:AM.
                    If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                    Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

I sound like a parrot , but thanks for all your help!
                      I will download the relevant templates and use those, in addition, I think I will send hard copies of all the correspondence I have recieved to date. I will look on here to see if there's any completed statemnst that might be of a simialr nature, which will give me a framework to go on.

Comment

Hello
                        Ive added my attempt at the witness statement, Ive added info in red to let you know which documents I intend to send. I will of course remove once its ok to send

IN THE NORTHAMPTON COUNTY COURT
                        Claim No. xxxxxxxx

BETWEEN:
                        PRA GROUP (UK) LTD
                        Claimant
                        - and –
                        Defendant
                        xxxxxxxxx

WITNESS STATEMENT OF xxxxxxxx

I xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx being the Defendant in this case will state as follows;

1. I make this Witness Statement in support of the application for an order that the judgment in this case xxxxxxxxxxxx judgement dated 19 August 2016 be set aside.

2: CPR 13.3 states (1) In any other case, the court may set aside or vary a judgment entered under Part 12 if –
                        (a) the defendant has a real prospect of successfully defending the claim; or

(b) it appears to the court that there is some other good reason why –
                        (i) the judgment should be set aside or varied; or
                        (ii) the defendant should be allowed to defend the claim.

3. I learnt of the existence of this claim on the 25 July 2016 when I returned from holiday to a claim form from Northampton CCBC dated 14 July 2016. [EXHIBIT A] *claim form

4. I acknowledged this claim on line of the 26 July 2016 and opted to defend the claim in full

5. : On 28 July 2016 I made a written request to the Claimants legal representative requesting CCA along with £1 postal order. In addition, I sent a CPR31.13 request under separate cover. Both were sent 1st class recorded and both were received by PRA 29 July 2016 (EXHIBIT B) * copies of my cca & crp requests
                        6: On 4th August I received a 2 page MBNA application form and the postal order was returned (EXHIBIT C) *copy of correspondence and returned postal order from PRA No other requested documentation was received at this time

7. On the 20th August 2016, I received the following documents from PRA (EXHIBIT D) *copies of correspondence from PRA
                        • 2 page copy of credit card application form with MBNA
                        • Notice of assignment from Aktiv Kapital dated 29/12.1
                        • Notice of assignment from PRA dated 09/01/2015

8. As the application form states PPI was ticked, I should have received separate PPI records to comply with my request, I have not received them. In addition, I have not received the copies of any formal demands / default letter from the original creditor MBNA
                        9. I therefore ask that the Court sets aside the judgment in this claim and allows 14 days for me to submit my defence.

Statement of Truth
                        Last edited by Amethyst; 25th August 2016, 15:13:PM.

Comment

I would suggest you remove the link and re-upload without all of your personal information on there. I'll take a look at the rest.
                          If you have a question about the voluntary termination process, please read this guide first, as it should have all the answers you need. Please do not hijack another person's thread as I will not respond to you
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          LEGAL DISCLAIMER
                          Please be aware that this is a public forum and is therefore accessible to anyone. The content I post on this forum is not intended to be legal advice nor does it establish any client-lawyer type relationship between you and me. Therefore any use of my content is at your own risk and I cannot be held responsible in any way. It is always recommended that you seek independent legal advice.

Comment

Oh gosh!
                            Ok

Comment

I've taken if off and just pasted the text for you xx
                              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Thank you ! I hadnt even found the thread

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X