• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISCONTINUED** Court Claim - 1st Credit (Finance) Limited / M&S

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **DISCONTINUED** Court Claim - 1st Credit (Finance) Limited / M&S

Received a claim? Yes
    Issue Date: 25-8-2015
    Amount approx:
    Claimant: 1st Credit (Finance) Limited
    Solicitor: Walker Morris LLP
    Original Credit: Marks & Spencers

Particulars of Claim:
    On **/11/ 1999 the Defendant entered into an agreement for a credit card with the original creditor under Ref No ********* On the **/12/2009 the Defendant defaulted on the agreement with an outstanding balance of 5000. On **/01/2013 the debt was assigned to 1st Credit (Finance) Ltd in the sum of 5000 by the creditor. Statutory Notices of Assignment were sent to the defendant.
    AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS
    1. The sum 6000
    2. Statutory interest pursuant to S.69 County Courts Act 1984 at 8% per annum from **/01/2013 until judgement or sooner payment.
    The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate &% a year from **/01/2013 to **/08/2015 on 5000 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of 1.09.

Stat Barred? Yes

Have sent: Acknowledged the Claim

Other Info:
    Received this claim from 1st Credit but thought that this was statute barred as I did some investigating and found the original default notice which was issued **/07/2009 and not as 1st credit have said which is the **/12/2009. I then checked my credit file and they have have lodged a default on my file with an inaccurate default showing **/12/2009.

Also it is not a credit card as mentioned in the particulars of claim but an account called a personal reserve (if that makes any difference!)

I had some money problems and could not make any more payments so the last payment and contact was **/04/2009.

Also 1st Credit state that they had bought the debt in Jan 2013 yet the default registered with the CRA is 1st Credit dated **/12/2009 reading through some of the threads I thought that they had to use the original default notice date!

Any help would be appreciated in what to do next

Many thanks in advance

Tilly
    Tags: None

Re: Court Claim - 1st Credit (Finance) Limited / Marks & Spencers - 25-8-2015

Hi and welcome aboard

Originally posted by tilly2015 View Post
    Stat Barred? Yes

Have sent: Acknowledged the Claim

Other Info:
    Received this claim from 1st Credit but thought that this was statute barred as I did some investigating and found the original default notice which was issued **/07/2009 and not as 1st credit have said which is the **/12/2009. I then checked my credit file and they have have lodged a default on my file with an inaccurate default showing **/12/2009.
    Default dates on credit files are not an indicator of SBd status. There was a recent case where the judge decide that the cause of action was when the DN was issued, I disagree but even if that was the case, it would still have been SBd at the time the claim was issued. :whoo:
    Also it is not a credit card as mentioned in the particulars of claim but an account called a personal reserve (if that makes any difference!)

I had some money problems and could not make any more payments so the last payment and contact was **/04/2009.
    You may want to look at this case, where they'd called it an overdraft! :lol: https://consumercreditlitigationandd...lobal-limited/

Also 1st Credit state that they had bought the debt in Jan 2013 yet the default registered with the CRA is 1st Credit dated **/12/2009 reading through some of the threads I thought that they had to use the original default notice date!
    The original default date should remain unchanged when the debt is assigned, however, it wouldn't be the same date the DN is issued. You could argue about the late default, however, it's only got a few months before dropping off anyway and as above, it doesn't do anything to affect SBd status. :thumb:

Comment

I believe that case Flaming Parrot was

BMW Financial Service (GB) Ltd v Hart [2012] EWCA

That really has no relevance as that agreement contained a specific term in the actual finance agreement where the cause of action was when the agreement was terminated

That caveat as a contractual term is unique to a BMW finance agreement

Comment

Any help would be appreciated in what to do next
        Below are the usual steps to take on receipt of a claim:

1: ACKNOWLEDGE THE CLAIM - you can do this online usually at www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
        You'll need your claim reference and password from the front of the claim form - this will extend the time you have to respond to the claim to 28 days from when you received it

2: Send A CCA REQUEST to the CLAIMANT ( see here )
        This applies to all credit cards / loans / hire purchase / store cards type debt. It doesn't apply to Mobile Phones / Utilities or Overdrafts.

3: Send a CPR request to the CLAIMANT'S SOLICITORS ( see here )

This applies to everything unless they happen to have supplied you with a bunch of paperwork to back up their claim (v. unlikely)
        Received a claim? Yes
        Issue Date: 25-8-2015
        Amount approx:
        Claimant: 1st Credit (Finance) Limited
        Solicitor: Walker Morris LLP
        Original Credit: Marks & Spencers

Particulars of Claim:
        On **/11/ 1999 the Defendant entered into an agreement for a credit card with the original creditor under Ref No ********* On the **/12/2009 the Defendant defaulted on the agreement with an outstanding balance of 5000. On **/01/2013 the debt was assigned to 1st Credit (Finance) Ltd in the sum of 5000 by the creditor. Statutory Notices of Assignment were sent to the defendant.
        AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS
        1. The sum 6000
        2. Statutory interest pursuant to S.69 County Courts Act 1984 at 8% per annum from **/01/2013 until judgement or sooner payment.
        The claimant claims interest under section 69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate &% a year from **/01/2013 to **/08/2015 on 5000 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment at a daily rate of 1.09.
        Based on the above, on the CPR request you can ask for a copy of:
        • The credit agreement
        • The notice of assignment
        • The default notice

If you never had a credit card, it should be interesting to see what they provide by way of agreement.... :confused2:

Comment

Originally posted by judgemental24 View Post
          I believe that case Flaming Parrot was

BMW Financial Service (GB) Ltd v Hart [2012] EWCA

That really has no relevance as that agreement contained a specific term
          in the actual finance agreement where the cause of action was when the agreement was terminated

That caveat as a contractual term is unique to a BMW finance agreement
          That is the case that's actually case law, however I was referring to a recent judgment which I believe, is being appealed, therefore it's not yet case law, so it can't be used as precedent.

Comment

So just a county court judgement then??

So no worries until it, or if it ends up in the appellate court

Comment

Originally posted by judgemental24 View Post
              So just a county court judgement then??

So no worries until it, or if it ends up in the appellate court
              It was a recent county court judgment posted on another site, I've seen mention of a potential appeal, the case has been referred to a solicitor to look into. :decision:

Comment

Wow thanks for the quick response I will read through everything and get back

Thanks again

Tilly

Comment

I'm just doing the CCA and just need to know which account number I should use, the one on the particular of claim which is 0000000xxxxxxxxx or the one on the default notice 0xxxxxxxxx one has seven zeros the other just one zero the xx's are the same number.

Thanks
                  Tilly

Comment

I'm just doing the CCA and just need to know which account number I should use, the one on the particular of claim which is 0000000xxxxxxxxx or the one on the default notice 0xxxxxxxxx one has seven zeros the other just one zero the xx's are the same number.

Thanks
                    Tilly
                    I'd use the one on the default notice.

Comment

Many thanks I will get them sent off today

Comment

Hi,

Just received letter from 1st Credit looks like a standard letter:

================================================== ========

Thank you for your recent communication. We are aware that you have raised a dispute/query on the above account.

What Happens Next?

Whilst we are unaware of any outstanding dispute, we will contact the original creditor in order to request any information they hold relating to a dispute in relation to this account. It may take several weeks for them to gather this information.

We will suspend collections activity on this account whilst the matter is under investigation.

What Can You Do?

Please send us any information you have in relation to your dispute/query; thiscan include

* details of what the dispute relates to
                        * copies of any letters from the original creditor relating to your dispute
                        * copies of any letters to the originak creditor

Please be assured that 1st Credit Ltd will assist you in resolving any oustanding queries.

Should you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact a memmber of our team on .........

Yours Sincerely

================================================== ============

Very strange they admit they are unaware of any dispute but on the other hand they are taking me to court!

Still waiting from the solicitors to reply - What should I do do now?

Regards

Tilly

Comment

Hi,

Just received letter from 1st Credit looks like a standard letter:

================================================== ========

Thank you for your recent communication. We are aware that you have raised a dispute/query on the above account.

What Happens Next?

Whilst we are unaware of any outstanding dispute, we will contact the original creditor in order to request any information they hold relating to a dispute in relation to this account. It may take several weeks for them to gather this information.

We will suspend collections activity on this account whilst the matter is under investigation.

What Can You Do?

Please send us any information you have in relation to your dispute/query; thiscan include

* details of what the dispute relates to
                          * copies of any letters from the original creditor relating to your dispute
                          * copies of any letters to the originak creditor

Please be assured that 1st Credit Ltd will assist you in resolving any oustanding queries.

Should you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact a memmber of our team on .........

Yours Sincerely

================================================== ============

Very strange they admit they are unaware of any dispute but on the other hand they are taking me to court!

Still waiting from the solicitors to reply - What should I do do now?
                          That looks like a standard template response to your CCA request. There's no need to chase that one - non-compliance is a bar to enforcement and you'll mention it in your defence.

Ignore the bit about the account being "on hold", as they've issued a claim it's not really on hold and you still need to file a defence before your deadline. :typing:

Comment

Thanks FP will post up if I get anything from the solicitors.

Regards

Tilly

Comment

Thanks FP will post up if I get anything from the solicitors.
                              You should chase the CPR request from them, they should have replied in 7 days. You may want to say that, as they've not sent you anything, you'd like them to agree to a 28 day extension which is the maximum allowed under CPR 15.5. :thumb: You can do this by email with a chaser over the phone if necessary, to save time. :cell:

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X