• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Failure to follow set precedent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failure to follow set precedent

If a precedent with regard to how a matter put before a court should be considered but a Judge chooses not to follow such precedent, how would one deal with such a matter and with whom?
    Tags: None

There is an appeal process that you can follow but only if you have legal grounds, this could be because the legal procedure was not followed correctly or there was a serious mistake. Unfortunately you cannot appeal a case because you disagree with the decision. When appealing a decision it is advised that you get legal advice because potentially complicated legal points will need to be put forward to the court. The process can be lengthy and time consuming. If you are comfortable, would you mind providing more detail with why you believe the precedent was not followed?
    I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

The precedent may to some seem pointless pursuing but the point is that there is given precedence on this point which has been previously tested and ratified in court. The precedence being that in law a Dog is considered a chattel of the home and should not be removed from the family home without agreement.
      In this case the county court went down the line of allowing the Dog to reside with my Ex who left the marital home taking the dog saying that there should be shared time, in effect dealing with it like the child of the family. I appreciate that seems like a fair resolution however my Ex failed to comply with the shared time that was agreed through mediation.
      On taking this back to court the Judge then reduced the amount of contact time but made this a court order. However my Ex totally disregarded this order and reporting this failure to the court the response from the Judge was to speak to a solicitor.
      I appreciate some may see this as a frivolous issue and not worth wasting the courts time with, however I believe in the need for justice to be effective then where there is a precedence laid down then when court fails and indeed refuses to follow this despite this having been raised and laid out to the court in the initial submission then it would seem that Justice is being allowed to be interpreted and varied giving different outcomes for different applicants and thus fails to be consistent which I would suggest is unfair and leads to little faith in the justice system

Comment

Please correct me if I am wrong but from what you have mentioned, there is a court order that states your dog should spend shared time between yourself and your ex. The main issue is that your ex is not complying with this order? Please be reassured that if an order has been made, it is in the courts interest on behalf of the parties involved, to see that it is complied with regardless of its content or value, as contempt of court is a serious offence. One option could be to attempt mediation again to resolve why your ex is not complying with the order. There is a form called a C79 form that can be completed, which is an application to the court to enforce a court order. From my research, this is mainly used for child arrangement orders but I am not sure if it would also apply to chattels, such as a pet. Would anyone in the Legal Beagle community be able to assist with this please?
        I am a law student undertaking work experience on the LegalBeagles forum. My advice is from my own experience only and is given without liability. If in any doubt, please contact a regulated and insured legal professional to seek further advice.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X