• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot/Mortimer Clarke Capital one HELP PLEASE!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cabot/Mortimer Clarke Capital one HELP PLEASE!

Originally posted by Hubblebubble View Post
    Well, that's all that Mortimer dicks sent me, that's all I signed (99% sure) but as for anything else I had at that time, I can't remember, probably a booklet with t's and c's, would that count?
    There must be T's & C's relevant at the time the account was opened.

How was this application form described in the covering letter, as a " copy of your agreement" / a reconstituted copy of your agreement,?"

nem

Comment

I'm at the hospital at the moment, so can't be 100% sure until I get home and check it later, but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the list of documents included as "agreement" I don't think it was mentioned as a copy, or reconstituted copy.

Comment

There should definately be additional terms with that agreement - if you can read the bottom bit there's at least one place where you confirm to having read paragraph 23 of the terms and conditions. It's not really whether you recall having it or not, it's whether they have complied with the consumer credit act s.78 "shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it" as of course s78(6) 'he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;'.

You should write back and tell them that - if you want to settle that will get you nearer 25% total rather than 25% discount.
        #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

I'm at the hospital at the moment, so can't be 100% sure until I get home and check it later, but I'm pretty sure it was mentioned in the list of documents included as "agreement" I don't think it was mentioned as a copy, or reconstituted copy.
          OK,

nem

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
            There should definately be additional terms with that agreement - if you can read the bottom bit there's at least one place where you confirm to having read paragraph 23 of the terms and conditions. It's not really whether you recall having it or not, it's whether they have complied with the consumer credit act s.78 "shall give the debtor a copy of the executed agreement (if any) and of any other document referred to in it" as of course s78(6) 'he is not entitled, while the default continues, to enforce the agreement;'.

You should write back and tell them that - if you want to settle that will get you nearer 25% total rather than 25% discount.
            I'm a bit confused now, should they have sent the additional t's and c's (Mortimer's)?
            I am thinking this was one of those "postal offers" complete with t's and c's in a separate leaflet, then post off the short application.
            That's quite good for me, I can't always remember what I did yesterday, let alone back in 2004....

Comment

In a lot if not most postal form cases the T&Cs were not present at inception (as in the cases been reported the so called application form refers you to section 8 or whatever which is not present at the time, ) = Unenforceable straight away, I am sure others will comment and confirm etc

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                There must be T's & C's relevant at the time the account was opened.

How was this application form described in the covering letter, as a " copy of your agreement" / a reconstituted copy of your agreement,?"

nem
                OK, the application form was described as "Signed agreement", I've attached this
                letter and other papers that came with it, the last one should be the one with the 25% discount.
                Attached Files

Comment

OK, the application form was described as "Signed agreement", I've attached this
                  letter and other papers that came with it, the last one should be the one with the 25% discount.
                  My personal feeling is to write MC stating that as they are well aware the alleged " agreement " is incomplete and is not compliant with your CCA request and you suggest that their client withdraws the claim

Supplying incomplete documents is a growing trend designed to make debtors give in.

nem

Comment

Originally posted by nemesis45 View Post
                    My personal feeling is to write MC stating that as they are well aware the alleged " agreement " is incomplete and is not compliant with your CCA request and you suggest that their client withdraws the claim

Supplying incomplete documents is a growing trend designed to make debtors give in.

nem

Do you think that will work nem? They're probably hell bent on getting me, it seems to be a big sum for them, they probably wouldn't give up so easily?
                    And what are they talking about when they say:
                    "it's not clear what your defejnse to this agreement is, we ask that you set out the precise legal basis of any defense within 14 days".
                    What has it got to do with them, I thought the defense was directed to the court, not them?

Comment

Do you think that will work nem? They're probably hell bent on getting me, it seems to be a big sum for them, they probably wouldn't give up so easily?
                      And what are they talking about when they say:
                      "it's not clear what your defejnse to this agreement is, we ask that you set out the precise legal basis of any defense within 14 days".
                      What has it got to do with them, I thought the defense was directed to the court, not them?
                      Yes your defence goes to the court which then forwards a copy to the claimant/solicitors I would stick t this process.

I'll stick by my opinion that the " agreement " is not complete without a full set of T's & C's.

enm

Comment

Thank you for that.
                        Would this be a suitable response?

As you are well aware the alleged "agreement" is incomplete and is not compliant with my CCA request and I suggest that your client either withdraws the claim, or provides the missing "Terms and Conditions".
                        Defense matters are dealt with by the court, as I'm sure you are also aware of.

Comment

Thank you for that.
                          Would this be a suitable response?

As you are well aware the alleged "agreement" is incomplete and is not compliant with my CCA request and I suggest that your client either withdraws the claim, or provides the missing "Terms and Conditions".
                          At this stage you don't tell them why you believe the agreement is not compliant.
                          Just tell them you reject it as non compliant.

nem

Comment

That was quick nem, thank you!
                            Ok, sorry to be a bit of a pain here, so, if I simply put as a response (posted recorded of course):

As you are well aware the alleged "agreement" is incomplete and is not compliant with my CCA request and I suggest that your client withdraws the claim.

Would that be a suitable response?
                            Thank you once again!

Comment

Above letter sent today, let's see what they think about that then.

Comment

Update, update, update....
                                I haven't updated before now, because I didn't want to tempt fate, I'm hoping I'm safe to do so now!
                                After sending the above response as advised by nem, I received a reply stating they were contacting their "client" and awaiting further instructions. That, is the last I have heard to date!
                                After such a traumatic year, it was nice to get them off my back. As I mentioned before, my dad was very ill, and sadly passed away a couple of weeks after my last post.
                                You helped me out in a very difficult time, and gave me help when I needed it most. Had I not done that last update, and amethyst and nemesis getting involved, I would have sent a form off, and now be paying an unfair debt off (the original debt was about £3500, the rest was fines, interest, ppi etc etc...)
                                Thank you so very much, for your invaluable advice and help, and I want you to know I'm eternally grateful!!
                                I would also like to know how I can at least make a donation of some kind.
                                Thank you very much,
                                Paul

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X