• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

In court tomorrow.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In court tomorrow.

Well done Best of luck tomorrow and please let us know how you get on. (just repeated Steven word for word there sorry lol)
    #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Originally posted by Amethyst View Post
      Toffee Man won today as Bryan Carter didn't show up, so all is not lost don't worry. He'd not sent a WS or documents either. (I do think he was lucky and got a good judge so fingers crossed you get the same)
      I probably was a bit lucky.But Carters had already shot themselves in the foot by supplying no default notice or a CCA. So the Judge had already discounted their case.

Comment

.........final position is adjourned for 28 days.

AK's duty solicitor opened with disallowing my WS due to lateness but the judge conceded that she had already ready it so there was little point in not continuing but he could adjourn if he chose due to unexpected items cropping up.

I argued s61 that the document was incomplete quoting HFO Capital Limited v Roland Wegmuller and that the reason I knew that was because the varied terms had more sections, the DJ seemed unimpressed.

I then spoke of s61(c) and illegible and quoted Cabot V Bachellier but she said that this was that the agreement had to be legible at the time of signing.

I then used the s78 request and illegible quoting Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notice and copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 reg 2(1) and she conceded the point but tried to intimate that the judgement would just be put and inevitable off and extra costs and interest would be incurred.

Then adjourned for 28 days for AK to reconstitute the agreement and suggested perhaps a consent order might be a good idea. Costs reserved because of my late WS.

Any opinions?

Comment

Originally posted by toomanycalls View Post
          .........final position is adjourned for 28 days.

AK's duty solicitor opened with disallowing my WS due to lateness but the judge conceded that she had already ready it so there was little point in not continuing but he could adjourn if he chose due to unexpected items cropping up.

I argued s61 that the document was incomplete quoting HFO Capital Limited v Roland Wegmuller and that the reason I knew that was because the varied terms had more sections, the DJ seemed unimpressed.

I then spoke of s61(c) and illegible and quoted Cabot V Bachellier but she said that this was that the agreement had to be legible at the time of signing.

I then used the s78 request and illegible quoting Consumer Credit (Cancellation Notice and copies of Documents) Regulations 1983 reg 2(1) and she conceded the point but tried to intimate that the judgement would just be put and inevitable off and extra costs and interest would be incurred.

Then adjourned for 28 days for AK to reconstitute the agreement and suggested perhaps a consent order might be a good idea. Costs reserved because of my late WS.

Any opinions?
          you have mis understood cabot v Bachellier, this was a case i dealt with as the fee earner, the issue over legibility was in relation to the s78 reply not under s61(c)
          I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Originally posted by pt2537 View Post
            you have mis understood cabot v Bachellier, this was a case i dealt with as the fee earner, the issue over legibility was in relation to the s78 reply not under s61(c)
            Thanks for clarifying, always learning...

Comment

Thanks for clarifying, always learning...
              Of course an agreement must be legible when you sign it, but of course you would be a complete mcmuffin to sign something you cannot read in any event, so that really does fall away when you think about it.
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

Comment

Any sanction on them if they fail to type up the agreement?
                #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Not specified I think but the jist was that it was quite likely possible.

Comment

Not specified I think but the jist was that it was quite likely possible.
                    dont be too relaxed here, no sanction specified means no sanction at all.

So if they fail to provide a compliant document then you should be preparing submissions to the Court on the basis that the Claim should be struck out.

Comment

They have now provided the missing doc and also provided an ammended WS to reflect in time for the new hearing on the 18th. I think on that basis the judge will award to them.

I had emailed AK with a settlement offer but they are not playing ball and want the full amount claimed. Do I have any legal argument to the interest charges? I'm sure I read that they should not be liable to claim interest at least while in breach of the S78 which has only just been satisfied with the new doc.

Comment

You've a hearing on the 18th - previously adjourned because of illegible /missing docs which have now been provided ?

Might be a help to scan up the docs you have unless you are positive they are enforceable ?
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

I'm confident that the docs are compliant. They have updated their WS to reflect this and the general acceptance of points from the previous hearing so Its really a matter of course now.

My only question is whether or not I have any argument to the interest added. I think the account had frozen interest at the point of default notice due to a minor payment arrangement if that has any bearing. There is also the questionof if they could continue to add whilst in default of the s78?

Comment

Did the hearing go ahead yesterday ?
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X