• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

**DISCONTINUED** Cabot Financial Court Summons ( Scotland )

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ok, its now my turn - Cabot Financial Court Summons

I have had a response from Cabot today. Amusingly they have stated that our original CCA request was addressed to Marlin Financial and that is the reason for the delay. We used the name and address exactly as stated in our Summary Cause Summons!!

Briefly, they have included the paperwork as issued 5 years ago, so I will use what FB stated to me.

Any comments please on the following wording from them in their letter :-
    Turning to your concerns regarding the legal proceedings, I would advise there is no prohibition on bringing legal proceedings whilst a request under s.78 on the consumer credit act 1974 is still outstanding (I know that ) S.78 (6) provides that 'If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1): (a) he is not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement'.

In the case of Rankine v American Express Services Europe Ltd (2008) GCCR 7701 HH Judge Simon-Brown QC set out at paragraph 16 of the judgement that in respect of S 78 (6) 'the word 'enforce' is not descriptive of the commencement of proceedings. Bringing proceedings during a time when the agreement has been brought to an end is only a step taken with a view to enforcement. It is not actually enforecement ...... It can thus be said that had Parliament intended that a s 78 have the consequence of preventing the commencement of proceedings, the section would have so provided....'

The delay in responding to your request (which has now been remedied by the provision of the documents enclosed) was therefore no bar to legal proceedings being started however, had the matter reached that stage, would have prevented a Decree being granted until your request had been complied with.

It then goes on to say that its their final response and we can now go the the FOS (as if!!)

Comment

Hi Ruby, I can't believe I missed your post on the 31st October !!! So sorry xxxxxx Sounds good Well done xxx

So what paperwork have they included ? If the agreement can you upload it.

urning to your concerns regarding the legal proceedings, I would advise there is no prohibition on bringing legal proceedings whilst a request under s.78 on the consumer credit act 1974 is still outstanding (I know that ) S.78 (6) provides that 'If the creditor under an agreement fails to comply with subsection (1): (a) he is not entitled while the default continues, to enforce the agreement'.

In the case of Rankine v American Express Services Europe Ltd (2008) GCCR 7701 HH Judge Simon-Brown QC set out at paragraph 16 of the judgement that in respect of S 78 (6) 'the word 'enforce' is not descriptive of the commencement of proceedings. Bringing proceedings during a time when the agreement has been brought to an end is only a step taken with a view to enforcement. It is not actually enforecement ...... It can thus be said that had Parliament intended that a s 78 have been consequence of preventing the commencement of proceedings, the section would have so provided ....'

The delay in responding to your request (which has now been remedied by the provision of the documents enclosed) was therefore no bar to legal proceedings being started however, had the matter reached that stage, would have prevented a Decree being granted until your request had been complied with.
      Yes bringing court action is not enforcement, getting a judgment is so they are correct.
      #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

No probs Ame, I know you are a busy lady :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Please see my post 36 - paperwork received to today is the same with the exception that they have also included printout of statements.

With the generic T & C's for Vanquis, (which according to them fulfills their requirements for a CCA request) is a piece of paper headed ' Digital Signature Application Detail'. I will scan this shortly and upload it.

My gut feeling is they can go and whistle, but would really like to have some backup to my judgement.

Comment

These

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Yes :tinysmile_grin_t:

Comment

Actually, hang on, after closer inspection the CCA agreement for Aqua is tweeked, which in itself is dubious! I will rescan the docs asap

Comment

oooo tweeked in what way?
                #staysafestayhome

Comment

Have they added Consumer Credit Agreement Regulated by the Consumer Credit Act 1974 to it ?lol

ahh probably not
                  By signing the enclosed credit agreement I request that Halilax plc issue a card,
                  ahh that's the application form

so this one ? http://www.legalbeagles.info/forums/...3&d=1411817167 is the credit agreement
                  #staysafestayhome

Comment

Ok, here goes - If you read my fifth attachment in post 79 regarding Aqua Credit Agreement, please see the attached below - can you play spot all the differences
                    Attached Files

Comment

Now Vanquis! Apart from the same generic T & C's as sent in 2010 they also enclosed the following.....
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby View Post
                        Ok, here goes - If you read my fifth attachment in post 79 regarding Aqua Credit Agreement, please see the attached below - can you play spot all the differences
                        ohhhh lol, this Aqua Agreement Jan 2010.pdf ) is the one that was sent off the back of a cca request in 2010 wasn't it ?

and this Aqua Agreement Scan 21-11-2014.pdf is the one they have just sent following Sheriff saying they needed to get it to you by January.

Any way of telling which ones are the right ones? ( guessing have to check the interest rate against inception statements)
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Tbh I am not sure which is the right one - recon it's more likely to be the one from 2010. I am going to have fun replying back to them! I am trying to think of the correct wording with regard to them being allowed to reconstruct cca's but they have to be true to the original in order to be enforced by law. If u noticed in one it states Halifax in the other bank of Scotland with completely different addresses! I will also be requesting notice of assignments as the court papers stated Cabot at marlin financial's address although Cabot state they are the legal owners of the debts. What's your views on the vanquis side?

Comment

Ummm for wording have a look at [MENTION=49567]bcarterproblems[/MENTION] (I need to look at that thread shortly so will copy it for you in a bit) - they got a 1999 cca for a account opened in 1997. so same basis, wrong cca.
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Vanquis I don't know - remind me where we're at with that one?
                              #staysafestayhome

Comment

Vanquis (post 85) only got generic t & c's in 2010 and yesterday same ones with paper stapled to front as attachment in post 85

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                                X