• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

NobbyNobNob vs Cabot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NobbyNobNob vs Cabot

Hi...and welcome to my first post :tinysmile_grin_t:

I've been to-ing and fro-ing with Cabot over the past 3 years or so, happily seeking advice from various Fora such as this, and countering any of their claims that I owe them money. However, I'm now finding it tiresome and time-consuming, and would really appreciate a fresh pair(s) of eyes and some final advice.

Here goes...

I bought an item in 1998 or 1999. I was also sold PPI on the basis I wouldn't get the loan if I didn't take it.

My work circumstances changed, and I fell into arrears. I found out via a CRA check in 2006, that the OC took me to court and was awarded judgment in 2001. I have not paid anything, even under the judgment (I really never saw or received the paperwork), since 2001. The CCJ disappeared off my CRA files in 2007, as you'd expect.

In early 2009, I started receiving letters from Cabot at my new address (I divorced a few years ago) about debt assignment, me owing them money, yada yada yada, and I countered with requests for DPA SAR and CCA etc. I have never received either, despite me sending Postal Orders via Recorded Delivery for the relevant fees. All letters followed the usual templates found on this forum and others. When the time limits expired, I basically told them to go forth and multiply, and warned them of the Harrassment issue under the Justices Act etc.

I didn't hear anything for about a year, when I received another 'pay now or else' letter a few weeks ago. I sent them another letter about Harrassment, and the cheeky so and sos actually called me for the first time yesterday. I didn't acknowledge them and told them not to call anymore, and any further correspondence must be in writing. Mind you, I did tell them to only write to me - not call - over 18 months ago, and I still have the copy letter!

In no particular order (for which I apologise), my questions/concerns are:-

1. I understand that the judgment is still valid although not showing on my CRA report - various reasons exist why I don't believe Cabot are aware of it.

1.1 Can they take a different, separate action?
    1.2 Can they take action under the existing judgment if they do find out about it?
    1.3 How likely are they to do either?

2. I have never paid a penny since before 2001. However, I can't be absolutely sure my ex-wife wasn't conned into paying something until they chased me. In the absence of any statements, I simply don't know, and Cabot has never reffered to 'missed payments' or 'arrears'.

2.1 Am I correct when I say that, because of the CCJ, I cannot claim Statute Barred protection?
    2.2 if my wife made any payments, without my approval/knowledge/authority, does that weaken any case under the Statute Barred scenario?
    2.3 If they don't realise there is a CCJ, should I wing it with a claim of Statute Barred?

3. If Cabot does take action, or discover existing judgment, I cannot afford to go through Attachment of Earnings, because of my job. I don't want to pay anything, ideally, but what other options would I have if I did lose the battle?

3.1 Full and final offer?
    3.2 Full amount, Instalments directly to Cabot?
    3.3 Final offer, instalments directly to Cabot?

4. I was sold PPI at the time, as I "couldn't get the finance without it". I have never seen a copy of the CCA, so don't know the actual amount, but could I...

4.1 Reclaim the full amount from any balance I may have to actually pay Cabot?
    4.2 Reclaim the full amount if it turns out I can avoid paying anything to Cabot?
    4.3 Keep quiet if I manage to not pay anything at all?!

That's a lot of info and questions, I know, but any views or advice will be most welcome.

Essentially, I don't want to pay anything, but if I HAVE to, what's the minimum...

Thanks for listening!

NNN
    Last edited by NobbyNobNob; 28th October 2010, 13:30:PM. Reason: accuracy
    Tags: None

Re: NobbyNobNob vs Cabot

You obviously need to find out exactly where you stand with Cabot. I would suggest you send them an SAR so you can see exactly what information they hold about you.

Once you know that, you can take it from there.

There seems little point in "guessing" when you can find out the exact state of affairs quite simply!

Comment

Thanks. I did request a SAR as I stated, but received nothing. I don't really want to waste another tenner!

Comment

Originally posted by NobbyNobNob View Post
        Thanks. I did request a SAR as I stated, but received nothing. I don't really want to waste another tenner!
        Why did you not pursue it once the 40 days were up? Legally they have to provide you with this information. They may just have done you a big favour.

When were the 40 days from your SAR up? Did you send a cheque and if so, did they cash it?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X