• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot/Mortimer Clarke Solicitors - CCJ claim form (settle without CCJ?)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot/Mortimer Clarke Solicitors - CCJ claim form (settle without CCJ?)

Hi all,

Yesterday I received a CCJ claim form for a debt owed to Newday/Cabot/Mortimer. I'm eager to settle the amount out of court so that I don't get a CCJ against my name, and am wondering the best strategy to do this.

Received a claim? Yes/No: Yes
    Issue Date: 17th May 2022
    Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: No
    Total Amount Claimed : £3000
    Claimant’s Name: Cabot Financial (UK) Limited
    Solicitors Firm: Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Ltd
    Original Creditor: New Day Ltd (Aqua credit card)
    Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Credit Card
    Particulars of Claim: I took out the credit card online in 2019. Due to COVID around 2020 I struggled to keep up payments and eventually the card defaulted. I haven't made any payments on the card and allowed the situation to deteriorate to this stage.
    Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 5 years?): No
    List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): None
    Any Other Information or Background Details: I would like to make a payment and not enter into a CCJ payment plan (because I don't want a CCJ against my name if possible).
    Tags: None

Per the guidelines on this forum, I have already filled out an acknowledge of service online to give me 28 days to fully respond to the solicitors.

Comment

You seem very on top of this claim and are dealing with Cabot well.

In terms of strategies, if you are confident the debt is yours and you have acknowledged the debt is yours (a proof it letter would be futile at this point), you have the choice between paying the debt off in full, setting up a repayment plan or settling the debt at a lower rate. There is some good advice on the article attached and Cabot are known to accept all three solutions however the latter would, of course, have an effect on your credit score but this can be built up again once you have dealt with the debt.

If none of these are possible for you, you might try getting in touch with a debt charity to see if you should consider a formal debt solution. Above all else, like you say, keep in touch with Cabot and don't let this issue get any worse.
      Do I need to pay Cabot Financial Debt? We investigated various complaints and found out everything you need to know about the company.

Comment

Originally posted by rampant View Post
        Hi all,

Yesterday I received a CCJ claim form for a debt owed to Newday/Cabot/Mortimer. I'm eager to settle the amount out of court so that I don't get a CCJ against my name, and am wondering the best strategy to do this.

Received a claim? Yes/No: Yes
        Issue Date: 17th May 2022
        Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: No
        Total Amount Claimed : £3000
        Claimant’s Name: Cabot Financial (UK) Limited
        Solicitors Firm: Mortimer Clarke Solicitors Ltd
        Original Creditor: New Day Ltd (Aqua credit card)
        Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : Credit Card
        Particulars of Claim: I took out the credit card online in 2019. Due to COVID around 2020 I struggled to keep up payments and eventually the card defaulted. I haven't made any payments on the card and allowed the situation to deteriorate to this stage.
        Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 5 years?): No
        List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): None
        Any Other Information or Background Details: I would like to make a payment and not enter into a CCJ payment plan (because I don't want a CCJ against my name if possible).
        I guarantee 100% the Particulars of Claim doesn't say the following:-

'Particulars of Claim: I took out the credit card online in 2019. Due to COVID around 2020 I struggled to keep up payments and eventually the card defaulted. I haven't made any payments on the card and allowed the situation to deteriorate to this stage.'

Check your claim form for that information. You need to acknowledge the debt, file your Defence, then negotiate at mediation providing this is a County Court Claim.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
        X