• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot Special - Unclear On Law

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot Special - Unclear On Law

Good day everyone! awesome forums, thank you for allowing me to post
    So cabot financial/mortimer clarke have been chasing me for an unpaid business overdraft (amount approx 15k, first started 2010, increased in Jan 2015 with guarantor signed Jan 2015); business dissolved early 2018
    i have never acknowledged the debt or made payments specifically for the debt although there were still direct debits going in and out and general account activity including payments from my personal account to this business account up until July 2018

1. Can a personal guarantee expire? Its been 7 years since form was signed
    2. if business dissolved can they still chase the personal guarantor so long after?
    3. what exactly is considered a "payment into the account or towards the debt?" small transfers from personal account to business overdraft account - does this count?
    4. they made a claim Sept 2020 which i defended (claiming mistaken identity as debt in business name) and no action since; i have now received a massive file of letters from mortimer clarke which say on the top "application notice" - what does this mean and do I need to respond?

I am likely going to send them a letter directly along the lines of:

"I do not admit liability for this debt, and I do not intend to make any further payments to it for the following reasons:
    • The earliest point at which you could have sued for the full balance owing to this debt was more than six years ago.
    • No payment has been made to this debt by me, any joint account-holder, or any third party acting as my agent for a period of more than six years.
    • No written admission of liability for this debt has been made by me, or any third party acting as my agent for a period of more than six years.
    This debt is therefore statute barred and any court claim to recover it will be defended on this basis. If you have evidence that this debt isn’t statute barred, please send it to me within 21 days. Otherwise, please confirm in writing that you won’t pursue me further for this debt."

5. do you think this is a good way to go?

any advice will be much appreciated
    Tags: None

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
X