• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Old Cabot/Mortimer clarke claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The default notice is dated the 9th August. If you missed July's payment you are one payment late but because you were paying off arrears then you were almost two payments late; you'd made a partial payment towards it but is considered missed. I'm guessing when you missed July's payment you were in breach of any agreement you had with them on your repayments so they demanded the full amount due under the default.

The termination notice is from September and the contractual arrears is the amount under the default notice plus the payment for September. They then stick a whole load of charges.

Any notice from October is probably including all of the charges and fees' they've applied for the termination.

Personally, I don't think you can argue the default notice side of it.

As for the limitations, they took you to court in 2017 for a loan and that claim was stayed when they couldn't produce the documentation. MC state that their original PoC was for a loan but it's actually an HP agreement and that they actually need to change their PoC to proceed. They would have to apply to change the PoC and lift the stay, that would have to be accepted by the court. It depends on whether the new PoC is radically different from the original. If they had to discontinue, then the SB clock would restart and it would immediately be statute barred since your last payment was July 2013. They know this so will try and keep it within the same claim to avoid that hassle.

Of course, there's always the possibility that the court could refuse to lift the stay. I personally don't see how it's fair to take someone to court and start proceedings without any of the documentation, (let alone getting the fundamentals of the PoC incorrect), and then attempt to lift it nearly 3 years after the whole thing started.

Your position on this is really down to you. Could you afford to offer them a 10% settlement? As in, could you pay it one go?

Comment

I could afford to offer them a 10% settlement but then is that not admitting I owe the debt and they could use that against me?
      i can’t load the statement of account up as it’s too big and I don’t know how to reduce.

Comment

The problem is I don't think you're in a position to deny the debt and as far as I can see there's no technical issue with the paperwork that you could rely on.

You could send them a without prejudice offer of 10%, stating that you'll make an offer to settle in one payment. They've already offered you 15%, it's just finding the number that you can both agree on. If it goes to court though, it'll be a lot more.

You'd need to weigh up your options.

Comment

They have offered me a reduction of 15%, not a settlement of 15% of the debt.
          I don’t know whether to try my luck and see if they go ahead with the claim. The judges might not allow them to lift the stay and then if they do I could still go into mediation before the court or have tomlin order?

Comment

Apologies, I completely misread that letter you posted!. In that case, you could still try to arrange a better discount and put it into monthly payments if that's the way you want to go. 15% though is a very poor offer.

I was advised in a thread of mine a little while ago by pt2537 that failure to plead default in the PoC can be fatal, it appears they have made the same mistake at first glance. Given that this isn't a small sum they're looking for, it might be worth getting some free advice from a solicitor that handles cases like this?

Comment

Correct

Its not just my view but the view of Goode Consumer Credit Law and Practice
              I work for Roach Pittis Solicitors. I give my free time available to helping other on the forum and would be happy to try and assist informally where needed. Any posts I make on LegalBeagles are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as legal advice. Any advice I provide is without liability.

If you need to contact me please email me on Pt@roachpittis.co.uk .

I have been involved in leading consumer credit and data protection cases including Harrison v Link Financial Limited (High Court), Grace v Blackhorse (Court of Appeal) and also Kotecha v Phoenix Recoveries (Court of Appeal) along with a number of other reported cases and often blog about all things consumer law orientated.

You can also follow my blog on consumer credit here.

Comment

Sorry, I should have made it clearer in my post that it was definitely fatal and travelboi should certainly look to you to get some advice on how to proceed

I was unsure if he could apply to strike out the claim, (even one stayed for just under 3 years), on that basis.

travelboi if you have £400 to drop on the 10%, if I were in your shoes with a potential claim of just under £4K i'd put that to getting some representation from someone like pt2537!!

Comment

Sorry what do you mean by failure to plead default in the particulars of claim?

Comment

In the PoC that you posted, Mortimer Clarke make no mention of your account being defaulted. They simply state you didn't make payments and it was terminated. But you'd need pt2537 to look at it. I can only point you in the direction of a legal professional at this point.

They've provided you with the default notice but make no mention it in their original claim. The issue would be if MC are amending their PoC to reflect it's a hire purchase agreement as opposed to a loan they could rectify it.

Given the amount being claimed, I would definitely be looking to engage someone if I were going to attempt to fight it.

Comment

So received a letter today off Mortimer Clarke asking me to fill in income and expenditure form.
                      they have given me 21 days to respond before they make an application to the court to change the patrticulars of claim, and lift the stay On proceedings & request summary judgement...
                      shall I reply?

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                      X