• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

CCJ Claim Form from Cabot/Mortimer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CCJ Claim Form from Cabot/Mortimer

Hi there, I’ve joined today because I need help with a ccj claim form received today. We have just got our credit files clean and really can’t have a ccj because we need to move house next year. Pleas help
    Tags: None

The claim is an old Lloyd’s credit card for about £2000 that we were paying back monthly at an agreed low rate. After a couple of years I’ll admit I stopped paying it but they never tried to recover it so I just left it. Then earlier this year they wrote to say they had sold the debt to Cabot, they started to chase it but I just ignored their letters because I’ve been well not dealing with things very well. Anyway fast forward to October I got a letter from Mortimers but nowhere did it say it was a letter of claim or letter before action. It said in the text contact us in 30 days or Cabot May ask us to issue court proceedings. So I just buried my head in the sand again and today I have a claim form. I could really thrown myself out of the window right now. I just can’t face all this legal formal stuff it’s overwhelming. Any way I can stop this going ahead? Please please please help.

Comment

last payment.acknowledgment date> >>>>>>????? also give details

Received a claim? Yes/No:
      Issue Date:
      Have you Acknowledged the Claim?:
      Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000)
      Claimant’s Name:
      Solicitors Firm:
      Original Creditor:
      Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) :
      Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ):
      Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?):
      List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ):
      Any Other Information or Background Details:

Check dates
      Acknowledge Claim
      CCA Request
      CPR 31.14 Request
      Subject Access Request Letter

Comment

last payment.acknowledgment date> >>>>>>????? also give details: I paid £1 per month for a number of years via bank transfer direct to Lloyd’s. The last payment was about 2014 I think, but I have no statements from them to confirm this.

Received a claim? Yes/No: yes.
        Issue Date: 28.11.18
        Have you Acknowledged the Claim?: not yet
        Total Amount Claimed : ( approximately please do NOT use EXACT figure given on the claim form, round up to next £100 or £1000) : £2200
        Claimant’s Name: Cabot Financial
        Solicitors Firm: Mortimer
        Original Creditor: Lloyd’s
        Original Debt (eg. Credit card/Loan/Overdraft) : credit card
        Particulars of Claim: ( Please type out in full excluding names/account numbers/exact amounts ): by an agreement between Lloyd’s bank & the defendant on or around 10/12/1999 (‘the agreement’) Lloyd’s bank agreed to issue the defendant with a credit card. The defendant failed to make the minimum payments due & the agreement was terminated. The agreement was assigned to the claimant. THE CLAIMANT THEREFORE CLAIMS 2200 2. Costs
        Is the debt Statute Barred (have you had any contact with the creditor or claimant over the last 6 years?): no
        List any letters you have sent (eg: CCA/ CPR ): I haven’t sent anything yet other than an email yesterday when I received the claim. My email to Mortimers and Cabot said I hadn’t received a letter before action (their letter was misleading but apparently after seeking advice it was actually a letter before action even though it didn’t say it) and I believed the debt was statute barred.
        Any Other Information or Background Details: we really need to avoid a ccj desperately we have to move house next year and a ccj will set us back 6 years when we have just got ourselves straight.
        Thank you so much

Comment

Amethyst

Comment

and I believed the debt was statute barred. but you state;-

last payment.acknowledgment date> >>>>>>????? also give details: I paid £1 per month for a number of years via bank transfer direct to Lloyd’s. The last payment was about 2014 I think, but I have no statements from them to confirm this?????>

Comment

Morning xxx Try not to worry - firstly your priority is not to get a CCJ - so unless you happen to have £2k hanging about you're not going to want to jump into admission and offer to pay.

This is quite an old account so they might have difficulties getting the full original agreement - although Lloyds are one of the better banks for retaining documents - so going through the court process ( which is likely to take up to six months ) you should be preparing to make either a full and final or instalment offer which would be acceptable under a consent order to keep you from getting the CCJ ( instalment wise it is likely to have to be £200 a month to get it accepted under a consent order )

But there's best times to make any offer through the process ( when they are on the back foot regards evidence and documents )

so first step - get the claim acknowledged with intent to defend in full .... this is not binding and extends the amount of time you have to defend to 33 days from the issue date.

Then theres a couple letters to send which I'll Put in next post xxx
              #staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Received a Court Claim? Read >>>>> First Steps

Comment

Ok don't email anymore - only do things in writing.

Check dates so you know when defence is due by - it'll be around New Years so make a big note and stick it on the fridge ( or wardrobe so less public lol ) so you don't forget ( issue date plus 33 days is latest date to file by )

Acknowledge Claim do this now

CCA Request send to Cabot

CPR 31.14 Request send to Mortimer Clarke - they're trying to be clever with their particulars of claim by not mentioning documents but still ask for agreement, notice of default/termination and notice of assignment.

Subject Access Request Letter Send to Lloyds bank for back up / cross referencing the info Cabot provide

Example Defence I've just put this so you can see why you're doing the letters xxx

#staysafestayhome

Any support I provide is offered without liability, if you are unsure please seek professional legal guidance.

Comment

Thank you so much for your help I’ll get all this done tomorrow and Monday! I do feel better already but haven’t been brave enough to tell my husband yet. I don’t know if I mentioned already but he’s a company director and having a ccj will seriously affect his job and businesses eligibility to get finance. So I’m freaking out a bit. Fingers crossed!

Comment

Now you have a bit of a plan you should probably discuss with him, and point him here so he can see what you are doing is the best way to avoid a CCJ ( other than paying the full claim now of course ).
                    #staysafestayhome

Comment

Right I have done all of these! Thank you and fingers crossed! I think my deadline is the 31 Dec - such an awkward time of year to submit their claim! Anxiously waiting.

Comment

I don't think they issue double the amount of claims end of November by accident ( I have no evidence of that btw but wouldn't suprise me ) If you hear nothing back ( likely ) you couldjust put your defence in 23rd Dec so you can relax over the christmas period. Once the defence is in there's usually a couple weeks before you'd have to do anything else and it doesn't hurt to put it in a little early.
                        #staysafestayhome

Comment

Ok so I’ve had contact from the solicitors today... which says they agree to an extension of 28 days for us to file a defence. Am I Ok to upload the document for you to see? Many thanks

Comment

Of course

Then ( assuming it actually is an agreement to a formal extension ) you'll need to let the court know -

Email something along these lines to
                            the court where your case is ( usually northampton ccbc - check their email address here https://courttribunalfinder.service....?q=northampton
                            - they keep changing it so may be worth calling them to double check )

SUBJECT: xxxxCLAIMANTxxxx v xxxxDEFENDANTxxxxx CASE NO: XXXXXX - EXTENSION OF TIME FOR FILING DEFENCE
                            -------------------------------------------------------------
                            Dear Sirs

The defendant and the claimant in claim XXXXXX have agreed that the period for filing a defence specified in rule 15.4 shall be extended by 28 days as allowed under CPR 15.5. This extends the date for filing of a defence to 18th August 2014 ( date 28 days from original defence date)

I attach a copy of the Claimant's agreement to the extension.

Kind regards

xxxxxxxxx
                            Defendant
                            #staysafestayhome

Comment

Thank you so much I’ll try an upload their letter now

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                              X