• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Cabot and Injunctions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabot and Injunctions

This letter was received a few days ago by an acquaintance of mine and I find it most distasteful and do not believe that Cabot, or indeed any company dealing with consumers, should be permitted to write this tripe.

Notwithstanding the fact that it is littered with pseudo-threats regarding "options" that will "occur" the use of bold type is juvenile and unnecessary. In addition, adding superfluous capital letters to certain words is as inappropriate as it is gratuitous and demonstrates a woeful understanding of written English. It is only one small step from bold type and capital letters to blood-red ink and then where will we be?

According to Cabot, unless they are contacted "...one of the following options will occur"

a Warrant of Execution

a Charging Order

an Attachment of Earnings Order

an Order to Obtain Information

an External Debt Collection Agency or Legal Agency

Now, aside from the final entry, (which is ironic because what are Cabot themselves if they are not a debt collection agency?) they are all in fact meaningless without a County Court Judgment first being obtained.

Not only that, OFT guidelines on debt collection are explicit on the subject of unfair business practices. (Debt collection guidance, Final guidance on unfair business practices, July 2003 (updated December 2006))

Among other things, the OFT state that it is unfair to communicate, in whatever form, with consumers in an unclear, inaccurate or misleading manner including false representation of authority and/or legal position. It is unfair to falsely imply or state that action can or will be taken when it legally cannot. They must not state that they will visit the debtor without making the purpose of any proposed visit clear, for example, merely stating that collectors or field agents will call is not sufficient.

Given that this single letter alone breaches just about every unfair business practice that the OFT could find, I wonder if there is a case for an injunction against Cabot in order for them to cease pursuit of this alleged debt? In particular because in this case, a properly executed request for a copy of the agreement and deed of assignment was made under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 in July 2006 and to date, nothing has been received.

What is more, the above Act requires most businesses that offer goods or services on credit or lend money, or are involved in activities relating to credit or hire, to be licensed by the OFT. The OFT can refuse or revoke a licence if it decides that a company is not fit to hold one. A failure to comply with OFT's debt collection guidance, issued in July 2003, would call into question licence fitness.

I think it would be an interesting exercise to seek injunctive relief from harassment by Cabot, using the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 in particular because the court will regard ignoring an injunction as amounting to a contempt of court, the ultimate sanction for which is imprisonment.

An injunction could be sought based on the premise that harassment is occurring given that no enforceable credit agreement has been produced (itself a criminal offence) and that these letters are deliberately written to cause alarm and distress. Furthermore, none of the actions described can be legally, or otherwise taken at any time until a judgment has been obtained, which cannot happen without the original credit agreement being produced.

Re: Cabot and Injunctions

It is only one small step from bold type and capital letters to blood-red ink and then where will we be?
    You don`t know how close to the mark that is Cet. Many DCA letters come in the format you have described, it is a subconscious psychological attempt to make their demands seem more "URGENT". They use words such as COURT , NO CREDIT, DEMAND COSTS etc to frighten you. I will post up an example of some I have received in the past. The average person who does not understand their rights would be quite intimidated by them and feel obliged to make an urgent payment.
    Any opinions I give are my own. Any advice I give is without liability. If you are unsure, please seek qualified legal advice.

IF WE HAVE HELPED YOU PLEASE CONSIDER UPGRADING TO VIP - click here

Comment

I will be watching this thread with great interest, as I happen to know from my dealings with them before that they don't fight fair and have shed loads of different dodges up their sleeves.

I suspect this thread will have more twists and turns than any bestselling thriller on the shelves in the best bookshops.

Oh and if you want any more example of the threatening letters the DCA's send just shout, perhaps we could start a thread displaying them.

Comment

Please remember that since the enactment of CPUTR the CCA s77-79 Criminal offence has been removed, also the protection from harassment offered by Administration of justice s40(1) has been adjusted to "allow" porsuit of debts if it is a commercial matter, as DCA activity is.

Admittedly the criminal part of s77-79 was not used in court merely as a threat.

This is certainly a case for TS and the OFT to investigate as they are clearly demanding payment on a completely unsubstianted debt.

One of my long winded feck off's might well do the trick, either that or something short and sweet along the lines of Bring It On Fecktards
        ------------------------------- merged -------------------------------
        This letter is a classic Threat-O-Matic special.
        As you will note there is nothing to identify who/what the debt actually is.
        The glib mention of Credit Card is are near to useless as is possible.

I assume the only piece of real information was the persons name and address !!

One and all may I introduce the latest Threat-O-Matic 9000.....

Perfect for all of those meaningless threats you wish to make to unsuspecting people.
        Now complete with CAPITAL letters and RED ink

Yours for a mere $52,378.25 and a valid CCA.

Guranteed to pay for itself within 6 months in operation.
        Last edited by Curlyben; 11th September 2008, 19:19:PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
          Please remember that since the enactment of CPUTR the CCA s77-79 Criminal offence has been removed, also the protection from harassment offered by Administration of justice s40(1) has been adjusted to "allow" porsuit of debts if it is a commercial matter, as DCA activity is.
          A course of conduct which causes harassment is not prohibited if the person who pursued it shows that in the particular circumstances it was reasonable.

Many, otherwise legitimate, activities may cause a person to feel harassed, but should not be prohibited by the provisions of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. Debt collectors are legitimate professionals (although that might be debatable) who should be free to carry out their activities. However, they do not have total immunity under the provisions of this Act. They would need to show that their actions were - in all the circumstances - reasonable.

They simply cannot claim that they are being reasonable, when they threaten, among other things, a Warrant of Execution, a Charging Order, an Attachment of Earnings Order and an Order to Obtain Information when not one of these are available to them!

As you can see from the letter, the "Warrant of Execution" entry goes on to state that "this instructs bailiffs (in bold, of course) to remove items from your home and sell them to repay your debt."

In no way could this be considered reasonable in isolation, let alone with the other drivel they have also written.

Comment

Completely agree there.
            I was just drawing your attention to some recent changes in the law.

Comment

I appreciate it, DCA's are not my area, feel free to continue to draw my attention to anything here.

I am wondering if an injunction is the way to go, given that this letter alone is blatant and irrefutable proof of a total disregard for OFT guidance?

Perhaps an OFT complaint with the threat of a possible suspension of their Consumer Credit Licence would be a better avenue to pursue. This letter is merely a template, no doubt one of many thousands that they have sent out. Clearly they were composed, proof-read and approved by senior staff before the decision was made to incorporate them into their systems and send them.

Such deliberate disregard for final guidance on unfair business practices cannot be ignored.

Comment

Shame Luggerbugs isn't around as some input from the CFC (Cabot Fan Club) would be good.

Now I would be inclined to take this up directly with the OFT and see what, if anything, they can do in this case.

The whole DCA industry skirt very close to the edge of legality and this really needs to be addressed from on high.

If they acted in a reasonable manner I know that they would get better results than making baseless threats and trampling all over consumers rights.

After personally dealing with 25 different DCA's and their associated Solicitors-For-Hire I know that this will take some serious action to achieve, but if a major player like Cabot can be brought to heel, then the others will be scared into compliance.

In this type of situation I would be inclined to send them something along these lines, obviously adjust to suit, but this worked well with RMA/NCO
                This is from June 2007;

ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE
                Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account Number: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

I am absolutely amazed by your company’s disregard for OFT Guidelines and legal process and procedure.

Not only has your company broken a number of OFT Guidelines for Debt Collection,

Including;

UNFAIR BUSINESS PRACTICES
                Communication
                S2.2g g. ignoring or disregarding debtors' legitimate wishes in respect
                of when and where to contact them, for example, shift workers who
                ask not to be telephoned during certain times of the day

False representation of authority and/or legal position
                S2.4b falsely implying or stating that action can or will be taken when it legally
                cannot, for example, referring to bankruptcy or sequestration proceedings
                when the balance is too low to qualify for such proceedings or claiming a
                right of entry when no court order to this effect has been granted

Physical/psychological harassment
                S2.6a contacting debtors at unreasonable times and at unreasonable intervals
                And
                S2.6 ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are
                disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment

You have also failed to comply with my properly formatted Consumer Credit Act 1974 section 78 request, sent to your office by recorded delivery on 27th April 2007.

As you may not be aware , failure to comply with this request within 12 working days renders the alleged debt UNENFORCEABLE in law. Furthermore, if this non-compliance continues for a further month then a summary, criminal offence is committed, punishable with a £2,500 fine and/or six months in prison.

I must inform you that as of the 18th May 2007, this alleged agreement is unenforceable and will be a criminal matter on the 18th June 2007.

Further to your appalling business practices your company has been reported to Trading Standards and I am working closely with them regarding your apparent contempt for the law.

This will be the FINAL time I will contact you regarding this alleged debt too your company. All further correspondence will be conducted via the proper legal channels within Trading Standards and possibly The Office of Fair Trading.

Further communication regarding this matter will result in litigation being taken against your company, with no further notice.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

Yours faithfully

Comment

Heres some harrasment stuff i have been compiling as i am looking at a harrasment procedding against a dca

Legal Beagles

Comment

With the OFT contacts we have I'm sure we could make life pretty uneasy for these "people".

Comment

Just for information here's the Law concerning Injunctions.

Comment

Originally posted by Curlyben View Post
                        ACCOUNT IN DISPUTE
                        Dear Sir/Madam

Re: Account Number: xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx

I am absolutely amazed by your company’s disregard for OFT Guidelines and legal process and procedure.

Not only has your company broken a number of OFT Guidelines for Debt Collection,

Including;

UNFAIR BUSINESS PRACTICES
                        Communication
                        S2.2g g. ignoring or disregarding debtors' legitimate wishes in respect
                        of when and where to contact them, for example, shift workers who
                        ask not to be telephoned during certain times of the day

False representation of authority and/or legal position
                        S2.4b falsely implying or stating that action can or will be taken when it legally
                        cannot, for example, referring to bankruptcy or sequestration proceedings
                        when the balance is too low to qualify for such proceedings or claiming a
                        right of entry when no court order to this effect has been granted

Physical/psychological harassment
                        S2.6a contacting debtors at unreasonable times and at unreasonable intervals
                        And
                        S2.6 ignoring and/or disregarding claims that debts have been settled or are
                        disputed and continuing to make unjustified demands for payment

You have also failed to comply with my properly formatted Consumer Credit Act 1974 section 78 request, sent to your office by recorded delivery on 27th April 2007.

As you may not be aware , failure to comply with this request within 12 working days renders the alleged debt UNENFORCEABLE in law. Furthermore, if this non-compliance continues for a further month then a summary, criminal offence is committed, punishable with a £2,500 fine and/or six months in prison.

I must inform you that as of the 18th May 2007, this alleged agreement is unenforceable and will be a criminal matter on the 18th June 2007.

Further to your appalling business practices your company has been reported to Trading Standards and I am working closely with them regarding your apparent contempt for the law.

This will be the FINAL time I will contact you regarding this alleged debt too your company. All further correspondence will be conducted via the proper legal channels within Trading Standards and possibly The Office of Fair Trading.

Further communication regarding this matter will result in litigation being taken against your company, with no further notice.

I would appreciate your due diligence in this matter.

Yours faithfully
                        How has the enactment of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008 altered the content of the above letter?

Presumably the reference to a criminal offence should be removed, but in this case, the offence (failing to provide the agreement) was committed in July of 2006. Is the CPUTR retrospective in this regard?

Comment

Everything is still the same EXCEPT:
                          Furthermore, if this non-compliance continues for a further month then a summary, criminal offence is committed, punishable with a £2,500 fine and/or six months in prison.

this part which has been repealed.
                          Admittedly, as far as I know, it wasn't used anyway. More of a threat than a certainty.

CPUTR is retrospective in all cases.

Comment

Hey Cet, anything more on this one ??

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                            See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                            X