• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

letter before action do i need to send one

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• letter before action do i need to send one

I had a claim made against me , and the claiment agreed to setaside
    Last edited by whitesiden; 30th May 2015, 23:49:PM. Reason: correcting info
    Tags: None

Re: letter before action do i need to send one

Hi

I don't understand. The claimant had a (default?) judgment in their favour set aside?

What is your letter before action for? If there are active proceedings on foot you would not normally need LBAs.

Steve

Comment

I had a claim against made me in 2009 , to which the clamant had no authority to start , or authorise solicitors , and a counter claim was made in 2010 , by some excelent solicitors , but by the time it got to court i had mental health issues , and the court accepted my Medical issues
      due to the mental health issues i consented , manged to claim set aside in 2011 Neither the claiment or their solicitors defendant didnt responded to my defense dated febuary the 28th febuary 2011, as ordered by the court and the claiments agreed to setaside in July 2011

The claim would be for financial- Misselling , harrasment and theft
      1) the claiment wasnt the oringal creditor
      2) invalid defauld notice was used in their claim
      3 )The termination notice wasnt correct
      4 apr chrged on the credit was incorrect
      5)amount of credit was wrong
      6 basically all figures where incorect on the Consumer credit agreement
      7) total amount payable was incorect
      8) the agreement hasnt been signed

6)Terminations your rights was half the total amount payabe not half of the repayment balance
      7)the agreement wasnt signed or dated by the original creditor
      8)the agrrement is regulated by the consumer credit act 1974
      9 ) the agreement is regulated by the distant selling rules
      Last edited by whitesiden; 27th May 2015, 15:10:PM. Reason: i have no feelings in my fingers and make errors

Comment

can anyone help

Comment

cany anyone help ?

Comment

i had a claim set aside , by the claiment , the car had almost been paid off all by a few hundred quid , i had it setaside in 2011 , so do i need to send a letter before action

Comment

I think the reason you haven't had more responses is because it's not very clear what you are asking here. From what I read above, a claim was made against you and presumably judgment was obtained so you had a CCJ, which you managed to get set aside in 2011, so you no longer have a CCJ. Is my understanding correct so far?

It's not clear what you are trying to do now that would require you to send a letter before action. The letter in question would be sent by a claimant before issuing a claim.

The points you mention above would be valid points to defend a claim, presumably that was also the view of the court which is why the set aside was successful. If you have no CCJ that means you have nothing to pay on that account. I can't see what grounds you would have to issue a counter claim if I may refer to it as such, four years after the event.

The arguments you listed could well have made the agreement unenforceable, however, I can't see where harassment and theft come in. Any harassment by the creditor would have taken place prior to the claim being issued, thus over five years ago. Theft is a criminal offence which should be reported to the police, not a matter to be resolved via the civil courts.

Comment

Originally posted by FlamingParrot View Post
                I think the reason you haven't had more responses is because it's not very clear what you are asking here. From what I read above, a claim was made against you and presumably judgment was obtained so you had a CCJ, which you managed to get set aside in 2011, so you no longer have a CCJ. Is my understanding correct so far?

It's not clear what you are trying to do now that would require you to send a letter before action. The letter in question would be sent by a claimant before issuing a claim.

The points you mention above would be valid points to defend a claim, presumably that was also the view of the court which is why the set aside was successful. If you have no CCJ that means you have nothing to pay on that account. I can't see what grounds you would have to issue a counter claim if I may refer to it as such, four years after the event.
                the cash price is also incorrect it includes a £ 504 delivery charge , which makes the the amount of credit incorrect also
                The agreement is also regulated ny the distance selling rules

the claments representives set aside

The arguments you listed could well have made the agreement unenforceable, however, I can't see where harassment and theft come in. Any harassment by the creditor would have taken place prior to the claim being issued, thus over five years ago. Theft is a criminal offence which should be reported to the police, not a matter to be resolved via the civil courts.
                firstly the claiment wasnt the original creditor,and had no authority to bring the claim to court , or to authorise solicitors
                The claiments representives had previously taken me to court , in may 2009 and started further proceedings against me in august 2009 and told the court , i had moved address , and no notice of assignment has ever been reiceved , and they new full well i hadnt

the total amout payable includes is nade up of the interest , amout of credit , and they chased me for the full amount total amount payable, which included the deposit allready paid
                the interest has been caculated on the full cash price of the car instead of the amount of credit , and they also sold of my persomal goods
                The agrement is also regulated by the distant selling rules
                the car was probaly paid for before the took me to court

Thanks for replying
                Last edited by whitesiden; 31st May 2015, 01:13:AM. Reason: update

Comment

Originally posted by whitesiden View Post
                  firstly the claiment wasnt the original creditor,and had no authority to bring the claim to court , or to authorise solicitors
                  If you look at the court threads on this site you'll find the vast majority of claimants are not the original creditor, in fact these days is quite rare to be taken to court by the original lender, they all seem to go down the route of selling the debt, writing it off as a loss for tax purposes and let others do the dirty work for them.
                  The claiments representives had previously taken me to court , in may 2009 and started further proceedings against me in august 2009 and told the court , i had moved address , and no notice of assignment has ever been reiceved , and they new full well i hadnt
                  The notice of assignment may have been sent to your previous address which is why you didn't receive it. You could have asked for proof of assignment when you were defending the claim, however, this was nearly six years ago.

the total amout payable includes is nade up of the interest , amout of credit , and they chased me for the full amount total amount payable, which included the deposit allready paid
                  the interest has been caculated on the full cash price of the car instead of the amount of credit
                  The question is, are you still being asked to repay all this? From what you posted above, the CCJ was successfully set aside in 2011. That means you don't have to pay it any more, not unless they issue a fresh claim, have they issued a new claim?
                  and they also sold of my persomal goods
                  Can you explain this? Who sold off what personal goods? If the CCJ was set aside, they couldn't have applied to the court for a warrant to send bailiffs, not without a valid judgment in place.
                  The agrement is also regulated by the distant selling rules
                  the car was probaly paid for before the took me to court
                  The Distance Selling Regulations 2000 that were in place at the time referred to goods purchased online, by mail order, over the phone or from tele-shopping where the consumer didn't have the opportunity to view or inspect the goods at the time of purchase. They dealt mostly with your right to return the goods within a certain period of time if they were not to your satisfaction and to obtain a refund. I don't see how these regulations would have applied to car finance.

Comment

Faxes where used from the dealer to the original creditor , and these where sent when i wasnt present , already had the car when they where sent.
                    the subject access requet shows this too , as well as the documents sent to me are not the original cca or terms and conditions , and the car was also sold with invalid , gap insurance
                    the total amount payable included the deposit , and they sold my number plate , and no absolute notice of assignment had been sent from the original creditor , and ive been over charged by £15000I was also put out of work because of it and ended up with mental and physical issues , and still under the hospital
                    Last edited by whitesiden; 31st May 2015, 16:16:PM. Reason: typos

Comment

so do i need to send a letter before action is my question

Comment

so do i need to send a letter before action is my question
                        If you intend to issue proceedings then you should send one. You may want to look at the pre-action conduct to see what the letter should contain: https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/pr...on_conduct#6.1

Steps before issuing a claim at court

6. Where there is a relevant pre-action protocol, the parties should comply with that protocol before commencing proceedings. Where there is no relevant pre-action protocol, the parties should exchange correspondence and information to comply with the objectives in paragraph 3, bearing in mind that compliance should be proportionate. The steps will usually include—

(a) the claimant writing to the defendant with concise details of the claim. The letter should include the basis on which the claim is made, a summary of the facts, what the claimant wants from the defendant, and if money, how the amount is calculated;

(b) the defendant responding within a reasonable time - 14 days in a straight forward case and no more than 3 months in a very complex one. The reply should include confirmation as to whether the claim is accepted and, if it is not accepted, the reasons why, together with an explanation as to which facts and parts of the claim are disputed and whether the defendant is making a counterclaim as well as providing details of any counterclaim; and

(c) the parties disclosing key documents relevant to the issues in dispute.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                        See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                        X