• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Landlord flat owner - Damaged caused by contractor to flat - not willing to reimburse

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlord flat owner - Damaged caused by contractor to flat - not willing to reimburse

Hi All,

I just wanted some legal advice on where i stand and where liability lies based on UK law.

The scenario is:

1. I own a flat within a large building of flats
    2. there is a management company that manages the building and shared spaces RMG https://www.rmguk.com/
    3. Due to Cladding needing to be replaced on the building it was arranged with government grant to remove and replace the cladding
    4. It was stated (however im looking to see any evidence of this) that all flat owners were notified that for a certain couple days that all windows were to remain closed within all flats at the building
    5. they also stated (im again looking for evidence of this) that all windows had a sticker added to the window to remind tenants to not open windows during a time period in which they will be starting and completing the cladding work
    6. it seems our tenant left the window open during this time and the cladding contractor when moving down the building with an outside lift squashed and subsequently smashed the window and damaged the window frame of my flat

Im my short discussions via email about the incident to that management company (which was a customer service rep) they stated that as notice had been given via flat owners notice board and stickers on windows (i'm searching for evidence of this), it was no longer their liability or that of the contractor doing the work and only said any complaint we would have to take it up with the contractor.

My query is whom is liable in this scenario? i feel surely i can't be liable to pay for the damages to my flat for work conducted by a business to replace cladding and just because they left a note means they can do whatever damage they want to peoples flats?

I'm conscious i want to take this further however want to have an understanding that im not chasing something in which I no longer have a legal right to?

and if so how would i best go about this that would encourage the management company to resolve this?

Thanks for any help.

Andy
    Tags: None

insurance?
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

We do not have insurance to cover this damage unfortunately.

So wanted to know if the contractor would be liable for the damage caused.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X