• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Small Claims for Ex

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Claims for Ex

Hi, I am in the midst of a small claims case and representing myself in this. I wanted some reassurance that my case is strong enough, and get any pointers / advice on how to put my case across strongly.

Essentially I split up with my ex in July 2023, in August 2023 I began to be harassed by his dad, this meant i couldnt go to the house (where i lived for several years) and collect my belongings. I have made several attempts to get my property, through neutral / mutual contacts, police involvement and raising this in a previous court case to stop the harassment. Despite my best efforts I still don't have my belongings, which is why I'm claiming for the cost of these items. I have created a document in which the harassment is decribed / a timeline is provided to show why I cant get my things myself. I have then provided a breakdown of the missing items, evidence of me wearing them (sadly many of the items were bought with cash so receipts cannot be provided for all) and proof of how much a replacement could cost.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks... a frustrated ex!!!
    Tags: None

Hi UOB2023

Welcome to LB

I can't help, but Celestine might be able to advise. She may take time to respond -a busy bee.

Comment

Hi UOB

Welcome to LegalBeagles and well done for issuing this claim against your ex partner.

How much (roughly) is the claim?

If it is under 10k - it will fall into the small claims track of the county courts system. This means that it is a 'no risk' situation in terms of losing and being hit with legal costs. Neither party in a small claims case can add legal costs to their claim, so in truth you have little to lose in terms of trying to recover the value of your assets. Obviously if your claim is over 10k then the opposite applies and you would need to proceed with more caution.

In your claim form, presumably you set out the history succinctly? Further down the line, you can produce a longer more detailed witness statement setting out the timeline and attach a schedule of loss setting out each item and its value to replace.

In a small claims case you can only claim the monetary value, you cannot add on costs for distress etc but this will keep the case clean and simple, don't be tempted to over-explain or use any negative language/description. Keep everything transactional and factual in terms of how you were blocked from physically recovering the items.

You will have to pay a further hearing fee as the case moves towards the final hearing which will be allocated 1 hour of court time. If you win, all court fees will be added to the value of your claim and your ex will have 1 month to pay up or get a CCJ.

If you have any further questions, just come back to us.
      "Although scalar fields are Lorentz scalars, they may transform nontrivially under other symmetries, such as flavour or isospin. For example, the pion is invariant under the restricted Lorentz group, but is an isospin triplet (meaning it transforms like a three component vector under the SU(2) isospin symmetry). Furthermore, it picks up a negative phase under parity inversion, so it transforms nontrivially under the full Lorentz group; such particles are called pseudoscalar rather than scalar. Most mesons are pseudoscalar particles." (finally explained to a captivated Celestine by Professor Brian Cox on Wednesday 27th June 2012 )

I am proud to have co-founded LegalBeagles in 2007

If we have helped you we'd appreciate it if you can leave a review on our Trust Pilot page

If you wish to book an appointment with me to discuss your credit agreement, please email kate@legalbeaglesgroup. com

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X