• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Worth making a civil claim

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worth making a civil claim

My partner rented a stable for her horse, the deposit was £300 plus 1 months rent in advance followed by payment on 1st of each month. She has no signed contract. She has various emails between the owner of the yard and her discussing various matters. Due to a separate issue the person who was assisting with providing my partner with a 7 day livey due to her work commitments, but that person had to leave. My partner was worried as there was no-one due to take over the 7 day livery so my partner found another yard, she gave her notice on 11th November that she was going to leave. On 1st December she expected her deposit to be refunded but it wasn't and so she requested a refund to be told no and to refer to her Ts&Cs in her contract, which she does not have or has ever signed a contract. My partner gave the yard owner 10 days notice to refund the deposit but she failed to provide the refund. My partner then notified the person she will be seeking to taking her to court, she got a reply back saying if the court say she has to pay her back she will. My partner has a screenshot of the deposit payment and many emails. There is no signed contract and my partner has an email requesting a copy of this signed contract but to date no signed contract has been provided.

My partner is thinking of taking out a small claims court case but is worried she might loose. I think she won't loose as she's got proof of a depoait, there is no signed contract and the deposit hasn't been returned. Any advice will be most appreciated and grateful. Thank you.
    Tags: None

From what you say, I can see no reason not to bring a claim. That is not to say she is certain to win. The outlay in court fees will be small, and that plus her time and travel will be her total level of risk.

She may be unsuccessful in court, but if she does not bring a claim there is a 100% guarantee that she will not win.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Atticus, thank you. I think my partner stands a good chance as although itvis civil it is kinda like theft as she's appropriated the monies belonging to another with the now intention of permanently depriving the other of it. This woman has done it to a few people on this yard but they are fair rich and or don't seem to care whereas £300 is a lot to us. Thank you.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
      See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
      X