• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

is it worth starting a claim for unfair prejudice against a micro company?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it worth starting a claim for unfair prejudice against a micro company?

By micro company, I mean a 'dormant' property management company Ltd, owning one building only, divided into flats. The Company is managed by its Directors, who are also the Leaseholders. Over a period of time there has been a dispute between one Leaseholder and the Directors, resulting in a court case, which he lost and was awarded the costs. That case considered only the merits of the claim, an injunction. And despite the Judge stating he agreed it was unfair, he seemingly could not take into account whether the activities of the Directors had been unfairly prejudiced against the Leaseholder. Such as whether the factors of the Directors refusing to call a shareholders meeting to discuss the issue prior to it having to go to court (The Leaseholder is a shareholder), despite that being a right such a (joint) 20% owning shareholders can demand. Despite the Directors refusing to consider mediation. There is much evidence to show that the Directors had acted in a manner which is bias and contrary to a Directors Fiduciary responsibly toward amongst other things -to priories trust and fairness amongst its members. The Directors have freely admitted that they are at fault, that we were all equally at fault. However they will not agree that the burdon of cost (£28,000 of costs and a CCJ and a charge on my property) etc should therefore be shared and in all fairness the judgement set aside. They are content to allow that cost to put the Leaseholders property at risk.
    Starting a new 'unfair prejudice' claim is entering into another realm of stress, paperwork, worry, solicitors etc etc. I also think such claims are more for big companies. What chance do I have to obtain any justice against such precedence. I cannot help but think that any Judge would find the whole tiresome and irrelevant. Any advice appreciated.
    Tags: None

In short, no, not for the sums mentioned.

Action under s 994 Companies Act 2006 is complicated as hell. It is expensive, and the risk of having to pay the other party's costs is significant.

This is only to be attempted if there is a lot of money at stake - at least 6 figures.
    Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post
      In short, no, not for the sums mentioned.

Action under s 994 Companies Act 2006 is complicated as hell. It is expensive, and the risk of having to pay the other party's costs is significant.

This is only to be attempted if there is a lot of money at stake - at least 6 figures.
      Yes, that is what i thought. So what options if any against such an issue of blatant unfair and prejudiced behaviour by Directors? I can argue that they acted contrary to their duties to fairness. I can say they breached company law, maybe in view of not holding meetings when they are called, i can prove that they withheld information which would support my claim, but to whom and under what action?

Comment

Are the affairs of the company being conducted "in a manner that is unfairly prejudicial to the interests of members generally or of some part of its members"?

The quotation is from s994 CA 2006. There is a lot of meaning in those words, but basically you would need to show significant financial detriment to yourself and maybe others, to the benefit of those managing the company.
        Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Are the affairs of the company being conducted "in a manner that is unfairly prejudicial to the interests of members generally or of some part of its members"?

The quotation is from s994 CA 2006. There is a lot of meaning in those words, but basically you would need to show significant financial detriment to yourself and maybe others, to the benefit of those managing the company.

When I Google S994 Unfair Prejudice I get examples such as -
          • Directors awarding themselves excessive bonuses;
          • directors failing to award dividends;
          • failing to consult or provide information to a shareholder;
          • mismanagement of the company;
          • breaches of Articles of Association or a Shareholders’ Agreement or, in some cases, an unwritten understanding between the shareholders about how a business is to be run;
          • exclusion from management;
          • allotments of shares and rights issues; and
          • breaches of directors’ fiduciary duties.
          I would argue several of those apply in my example. But this still leaves me with the issue of whether a S994 in my insignificant situation is important enough to merit any interest from a Judge.

Comment

I agree with those examples. If you want more, read this judgment of Lord Hoffmann, given in 1999: https://publications.parliament.uk/p...20/neill01.htm. It is still the leading case on s994/unfair prejudice.

You have my views on bringing a s994 claim.

Comment

I agree with those examples. If you want more, read this judgment of Lord Hoffmann, given in 1999: https://publications.parliament.uk/p...20/neill01.htm. It is still the leading case on s994/unfair prejudice.

You have my views on bringing a s994 claim.
              Thank you. I will read that.

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
              See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
              X