• Welcome to the LegalBeagles Consumer and Legal Forum.
    Please Register to get the most out of the forum. Registration is free and only needs a username and email address.
    REGISTER
    Please do not post your full name, reference numbers or any identifiable details on the forum.

Forcing a Defendant (Local Authority) to name an employee (to be called as a witness)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forcing a Defendant (Local Authority) to name an employee (to be called as a witness)

I have a small claim I have brought against my Local Authority and wish to call one of their employees as a witness regarding what took place at a property inspection.

I submitted a Subject Access Request with the LA but this has been redacted.

Is there a court process I can follow to force the LA, as the Defendant, to name their employee so they can be called as a witness under CPR 34?

I was thinking an appeal to the ICO to remove some of the redaction may be a possible route, but this will likely take a considerable time.

As things stand, the LA has lied in their witness statement about the events that took place at the property inspection, so I want to put the employee in front of the court to see if they are happy to lie to the judge!
    Tags: None

If the judge has any doubt about the validity of the defendant's witness statement then he or she may decide to summons the individual inspector/surveyor.
    Witnesses in the small claims track are not under oath so they may not hesitate to be untruthful. Hopefully you have some documentary evidence filed with the court that proves their witness statement is not completely true

Comment

The LA will not give staff names generally - even if they deal with the public. And the ICO will back them up. Only if the staff member voluntary provides it can u receive a name [Orwellian!]. There is another way though - since LA's do have to list all of their employees along with job titles; ask them for the website page.

Comment

I wouldnt have thought you could make someone come to court or respond, even with the name

Comment

Originally posted by 12tribes View Post
          I wouldnt have thought you could make someone come to court or respond, even with the name
          That is not correct. CPR 34.2 sets out the procedure for issuing a witness summons. Obviously the person summoned would have to be named.
          Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by atticus View Post

That is not correct. CPR 34.2 sets out the procedure for issuing a witness summons. Obviously the person summoned would have to be named.
            I meant by personally requesting [an unknown] council employee to come to court - you would have to get CPR 34 2 / summons signed b a judge, otherwise a complainant could demand any person comes to court; it would have to be backed by the judge? No doubt the judge can also legally demand the the name of the employee comes into the public domain at the same time. Otherwise, LA's - from my recent exp. - wont go against an employee's choice for privacy - ie name / ID can be withheld. ICO wont intervene.

I had two employees / civil servants refusing to give ID / names by email and phone [instead they use 'Customer Service Team'] and the ICO green-lights this if you appeal.
            To me this fosters mistrust and makes such people almost unaccountable. If you have heard of 'Woke' its all linked to that progressive ideology. Should you make a criticism in frustration at this, you card is marked with making 'micro aggression's'.
            Last edited by 12tribes; 2nd November 2023, 13:38:PM.

Comment

If that is what you meant you did not express yourself clearly. You gave a misleading impression.
              Lawyer (solicitor) - retired from practice, now supervising solicitor in a university law clinic. I do not advise by private message.

Litigants in Person should download and read this: https://www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/..._in_Person.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by 12tribes View Post
                The LA will not give staff names generally - even if they deal with the public. And the ICO will back them up. Only if the staff member voluntary provides it can u receive a name [Orwellian!]. There is another way though - since LA's do have to list all of their employees along with job titles; ask them for the website page.
                Really? Do you have an authority for that proposition?

(I ask because it would be very useful to know... )

Comment

View our Terms and Conditions

LegalBeagles Group uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience and to create a secure and effective website. By using this website, you are consenting to such use.To find out more and learn how to manage cookies please read our Cookie and Privacy Policy.

If you would like to opt in, or out, of receiving news and marketing from LegalBeagles Group Ltd you can amend your settings at any time here.

If you would like to cancel your registration please Contact Us. We will delete your user details on request, however, any previously posted user content will remain on the site with your username removed and 'Guest' inserted.

Announcement

Collapse

Support LegalBeagles

Donate with PayPal button

LegalBeagles is a free forum, founded in May 2007, providing legal guidance and support to consumers and SME's across a range of legal areas.

See more
                See less

Court Claim ?

Guides and Letters

Search and Compare fixed fee legal services and find a solicitor near you.

Find a Law Firm

Working...
                X